Author Topic: Fethiye Earthquake 60 Years Today  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Fethiye Earthquake 60 Years Today
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Very interesting.   I remember the small earthquake a few years ago.  I was sitting by the pool and  heard this noise and though it was a big piece of machinery coming down the road, then the ground started to move and the water in the pool was splashing everywhere.   
Only lasted about 20 seconds but was really scary. 

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 14:39:17 PM »
Small !!! It was 6.1
Had it been longer it would have been terrible.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 15:11:46 PM »
It was small when compared to the one  that flattened Fethiye.   I agree, if it had been longer it would have been terrible.   

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 16:12:52 PM »
When I was living in Ovacik some years ago I had Turkish lessons with a Turkish lady who had been a victim of the 1999 earthquake near to Istanbul at Izmit and that one killed 17,000 people. Thank goodness that the governor had evacuated the town in time to save what must have been hundreds if not thousands of lives. The force of the earthquakes was more or less the same and must have been terrifying. I was told that there were actually two earthquakes in Fethiye on two seperate days.

Offline busybee

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:08:56 AM »
A really good read and loved the short film by Pathe News.  When the 6.1 earthquake happened, I had just got out of the pool, which resembled a wave machine.  Mick was indoors, sitting opposite our large tall display cabinet, which started to lurch forward.  Luckily he jumped up to stop it going right over, only two ornaments broken.  Made a promise to have a bag ready for any impending earthquakes.  Still havent done it, has anyone else? and where would you keep it?

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Felt strong enough too us... I think that the fact that properties are now better built compared to the older ones is the reason that there wasn't more damage done...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 20:13:36 PM »
I know there was a big crack up the side of the Pelin and it had to close down for repairs.  I heard that  Oldueniz and Hisaronu were worst hit and stuff fell off the shelves in the supermarkets.

Offline daveG

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »
At the time of the "Shake" we were at Salis (Kings Gdns) and thought well the tombs have lasted all this time without serious damage, what we did not know that the epicentre was over the hill!! albeit in the sea. Certainly felt movement that day!!! It was evident of the damage that had come down from the roofs (when passing the Otogar roundabout)of the shops on the corner, you can still see the barrier on the corner which took some of the debris.
Several aftershocks were felt and we were ushered from our appt' by our Turkish neighbours into our garden!! where a number of local families had congregated.Cannot see the point myself of standing in a garden with overlooking building however we helped take the children's mind of it by playing games and generally offering comfort (box of maltsters helped). 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf