Author Topic: AKBANK..Grrrrrr  (Read 5630 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

AKBANK..Grrrrrr
« on: April 30, 2017, 13:59:42 PM »
OMG what a day. Akbank ATM HISARONU decided to break down mid transaction and swallow Martyns card. The computer crashed and rebooted and still wouldnt give us the card back. We had no money, or food or f all. Turkish bar man came out and phoned Akbank who said cancel your card and phone England for another one...tut. Like what will we do in the meantime. The lovely man in the pork shop came out and gave Martyn 100tl and said to pay for our shopping from there when we get it sorted. Also if we need more food just come in..problem yok. The lovely kids that work in Sok also insisted on ringing, so I could speak to an English operator. Akbank wasnt helpful. Came home, our lovely pool man offered us 100tl too. We told him we were ok now, but he said if we need we can have...And thats what its all about folks..thats why we moved to Turkey..Good Friends and Good Neighbours and we feel very humbled and  grateful that people that dont know us that well would go out of their way so much to help.
Second thing, I have been doing my DNA results through Ancestry as part of my genealogy. Their test only does 7 generations and didnt show up much more than I knew. However you can upload to another site called Gedmatch that shows historical ancestry and it gave different things then said West Asia ..had to look it up...Turkey is in Western Asia..Berna Teyze Turk ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: AKBANK..Grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 14:20:43 PM »
We had a problem with our Nationwide Flex card being swallowed by an AkBank ATM in Fethiye a few years ago.

Got in touch with Nationwide and cancelled the card. "No problem." said Nationwide, "We'll get a new one in the post to you within 24 hours".

3 weeks later we hadn't got the replacement card. "No problem." said Nationwide, "We'll get a new one in the post to you within 24 hours".

3 weeks later we hadn't got the replacement replacement card. Called Nationwide again. "Sorry we don't post cards to Turkey."

"So, Why have I been told twice that you'd post a replacement card to us ?" "A clerical error." Was the reply.

Now, Nationwide had been quite happy to accept our Turkish address and had been sending monthly statements to us there for at least 2 years before the problem occurred, but they wouldn't post a new card to us.

I eventually solved the problem by changing our address to my parent's, having the card posted to them, and then they posted the card to us. It took just short of 3 months to get a replacement card. Fortunately we had other means of obtaining our money.

Good luck.
  :)

PS We got the original card back from AkBank 2 days after it had been retained, but it was useless by then.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 16:38:16 PM »
We alway take two cards with us from two different Banks just in case.  Always worry about a machine keeping the card.

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 18:21:27 PM »
Halifax Bank also refuse to send cards to Turkey !!
WW

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 20:16:35 PM »
I have two accounts and two cards with Nationwide so that if one card is lost or damaged I can still access internet banking or the A T M.I waited for a card reader from the UK and it never arrived so I ordered again and again,then all three turned up in the post box at once! I am glad you had a good experience with kindness shown to you,I too have seen how considerate Turkish people can be.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 20:43:53 PM »
Lloyds also refuse to send cards to Turkey.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 21:25:38 PM »
Ouch! I only have Lloyds cards.

Cash only? Two weeks' worth?

Arriving next week and don't know what to do for the best.

Just bring a whole load of Lira to last the trip, I guess.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 22:02:44 PM »
Deniz from Shades said to go to Akbank on Tuesday morning by Erasta with passport, bank statement and residency and demand they give you the card back. Ask for the manager and tell him in no uncertain terms they can either send someone to get it now or make sure its there this week...
Err its Simdi for now in Turkish isn't it :o >:( >:( ;D ;D   ;)

Hoping for a kkob outcome, so haven't phoned English bank yet..

Offline davybill

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »
MY Nationwide card was snatched in the Hsbc Bank, went in to the Bank with My Passport and they
got my card out of the Atm!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Ouch! I only have Lloyds cards.

Cash only? Two weeks' worth?

Arriving next week and don't know what to do for the best.

Just bring a whole load of Lira to last the trip, I guess.

It seems Lloyds cards are accepted, so your worry would seem to be if the machine swallowed the card, in this case you could apply to the Bank that runs the ATM the card was taken from you and ask for its return. 
Might also be a good idea to get an account with another Bank.  We use the Nationwide only to draw money in Turkey, we just put money into the Nationwide Account and keep it topped up for our trips.  Their card lets you draw Sterling for free.   We also have a Halifax Clarity Card which gives you the best exchange rate and you can draw any currency, as long as you pay up at the end of the month, the charges are quite small. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf