Author Topic: Almost there  (Read 3360 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Almost there
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
Yep, as the title says, almost there.

Returned to the UK on Thursday to finish packing up our house and went from 41c to 14c.  Total shock to the system.

I still can't get over how similar a move to Spain is compared to Turkey.  The bureaucracy, the hanging about in a notary's office, the queues at the foreigners department etc. 

Fortunately, we have an excellent guide - friend of the OH from Istanbul lives in our area and her (Spanish) husband is a lawyer.  After obtaining our NIE (NI number) in record time, we had a very pleasant lunch swapping horror stories about visits to the Emniyet building at Vatan Caddesi in Istanbul to obtain residence permits.

It is looking highly likely that for the foreseeable future this will be Casa JohnF

Its a typical Andalucian neighbourhood house comprised of several individual apartments, a large central patio and various terraces.  Needs a bit of work to get it configured the way we want it so taken on a six month rental apartment to avoid living in a building site. 

This an interesting little thingy that greets you as you enter:

Now, what did I say to our girls about not taking on another major construction project...

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Almost there
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
Well done !

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
We'll be looking for recommendations for relatively quiet coastal resorts featuring a distinct lack of all-day English breakfasts, karaoke and all-you-can-eat BBQs and a considerable amount of Spanish sleepiness (it is not a country we have visited much up to now but expect to more in coming years).

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 13:20:24 PM »
Cheers Alan.

Plenty of that down our way Colwyn, not just coastal village but the incredible  pueblos blancos (white towns).  No karaoke, no all you can eat crap, minimal English spoken and the only football shirts you see are Spanish, and usually on kids.

Our flight was early on Thursday which meant we had to stay overnight in the Malaga area - Torremolinos is cheap for accommodation and close to the airport so its our usual choice.  Never been there in the height of the season and it was an eye opener!  Whole place felt so tacky and touristy compared to Cadiz province, and the prices for food and drink were roughly double what we'd expect to pay - and don't let me get started about the quality of the food..

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 14:20:12 PM »
Looking good JF, is this the Portugal place, or did you decide on something/where else. Hope the building work all goes to plan and you are sitting at the head of your Christmas table on the 25 th all sorted.. All the very best to you and yours BT

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 14:48:46 PM »
Excellent JohnF.  So pleased for you.  Enjoy your Spanish life.

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 15:08:52 PM »
Enjoy your new start.   :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 15:25:01 PM »

Very pleased for you John, This'll spoil the wee fella's week of commemoration. !!!  Love the pic of the communal Virgin.    ;)  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 19:17:06 PM »
Thank you ladies.  Kevin - I like it too.  Even though not particularly religious, I don't have an issue with a few bits of religious paraphernalia kicking about. 

It is looking highly likely that for the foreseeable future this will be Casa JohnF.

Well, gone from highly likely to pretty much confirmed as contracts now signed for both the big hoose and a rental apartment.  The rental is a modern place with underground parking - which you access, in your car, by way of a lift!  Thats a first for me.

The similarities to Turkey strike again - as we intend to be "resident", i.e. living there for more than 183 days a year and paying taxes locally, we need to apply for Residencia.  Simple enough to get but you have to show that a) you can support yourself financially and b) you have health cover.  Sound familiar?

Now, international movers...

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 19:30:45 PM »
Nigel and Ian from The Kismet have moved to a quiet area of Spain... A small village the same as you and their home is undergoing a major make over.. They are loving it so far.. No water. no electric and no WiFi... but hey ho....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf