Author Topic: Looking to buy but first, a few questions  (Read 15598 times)

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
Looking to buy but first, a few questions
« on: August 06, 2014, 23:37:04 PM »
Hi all,

Just come across from the 'New Member Introduction' page.

We're looking to buy in Turkey and from our initial research are of the thinking Calis would be ideal for what we would be looking for. We have travelled to Turkey many times before but never to this area. However, there are a few things that we are finding a little difficult to find out without a sales or tourism spin being put on it. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions to get a real world view:

We hearing a lot of reports of the beach and town being dirty but these seem to be from a couple of years ago, more recent reviews don't really mention this too much - has a big clean up operation been undertaken?

We have noticed that Calis property seems to be a little cheaper than in other areas, is there a defined reason for this?

And if anyone has any advice when it comes to buying here, please do share this with us.

We're looking to come out on an inspection visit in the second week of September so if there is anything you would advise we ask our agent to make sure we experience, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for reading,
Ian & Sian

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Looking to buy but first, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 00:02:44 AM »
Well I guess I'll start then  :)

People often say that Calis is cheap compared with other areas but I have never seen it like that. It's cheap compared with 'trendy' (but dull) Gocek, country club Kalkan and maybe Karagozler around the Fethiye marinas but it isn't close to being as cheap as large areas of Fethiye like Tuzla, and the extremely popular with ex-pats area of Tasyaka.

I guess the 'cheap' comparison comes through comparison with Ovacik and Hisaronu, and as regular visitors to CBF will tell you, I can't explain that one. How a place half way up a mountain is more expensive than our quaint little Calis with it's charm and magentism is beyond me entirely. One factor is that Ovacik is mainly villas (row after row of them) and Calis tends to get small complexes of apartments making the average price per property less in Calis. I am biased but I would choose Calis every time.

The beach has had some pretty shameful seasons, luckily it has this year been passed to an organisation that care deeply about Calis and was looking great last time I saw it on here. As for the town being dirty I see those reports on some websites, generally written by the same handful of people - Calis is a bit rough around the edges but some of us quite like that  ;)

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:04:56 AM »
Oi, my apartment is on the edge of Calis. You never told me it was rough when you sold it to me!

~perhaps it wasn't rough before I bought there  ;D

Offline patrice

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:46:56 AM »
Love Calis for its -great sunsets -good choice of restaurants- friendliness of the locals and expats-

We have had an  apartment locally to Calis at Gunlukbasi for 9 years and still get the same buzz when staying there as we did 9 years ago  8)

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions along the way - obviously, with doing something as big as buying foreign property we want to make sure we're making the right decision on location.

One thing we definitely want to avoid is the 'Just like Britain in the sun' factor that I know affected a few areas of Spain a few years back. What we have really fallen in love with is the Turkish way of life and their people so, how much would you say Calis retains it's 'Turkishness'?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »
We have a place just on the perimeter of Calis Beach about 5 minutes drive in a car to the prom.   We have Turkish, English and Dutch neighbours and a Farmers fields at the side of us where we watch the goats and sheep being grazed and where our Turkish farmer neighbours give us eggs, tomatoes, figs etc., and we save our bread, and salad scraps for their animals.  We have the best of both worlds not far from the town centre, but still in a "Turkish" environment. 
One piece of advice I would give you, get a good and honest Estate Agent as there have been mistakes made by eager Brits wanting to buy.   I would thoroughly recommend Cenk (pronounced Jenk) and Olga at Interturk Estates in the Main Street of Calis.  Never heard a bad word about them. 

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
Thanks Jacqui, all recommendations gratefully received. Will check out their website now.

Offline Phil

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
My advice :

Don't just research the property and the area. Research your Agent as well. He will actually become THE most important person in your life.
Find people who have bought from them, ask around locally, find out how long they have been in business, ask as many questions about the Agent as you do about the property.

Do not enter into any purchase where you are expected to hand over all the money before you get your Tapu.

NEVER buy direct from a builder or developer.

If you apply the same principles as buying a house in the UK you won't go far wrong. But do take your brain with you and don't let your heart make the decision.

Oh. And go and see Cenk and Olga.

Then sit back and live the dream !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
Calis retains it's "Turkishness" (in my opinion) because it is a base/home for many Turkish families. Before we all came, it was a 'working' town, not just in areas like Gunlukbasi but all through - our street was nearly all Turkish couples and families and it was near the seafront. Ovacik and similar were not, they were tracks that got developed, and still now I don't think the percentage of Turkish owned properties is very high at all.

Calis isn't a typical Turkish settlement by any means but it did start from an established Turkish area and with that does have a lot of charm to many.

I shall now put my armour on and await the wrath of CBF's many Ovacik based members :D

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Thanks again, we'll be certainly be contracting Cenk & Olga later today - has anyone any experience with European Estate in Fethiye? They also seem to have several properties we would consider.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf