Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 294154 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #660 on: December 07, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
And what happens when the TL falls against the $ and his subjects realise how much money they have lost?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #661 on: December 07, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
He'll just tell 'em that 5h1t 'appens.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #662 on: December 07, 2016, 13:01:48 PM »
If they are daft enough to do it because he asked, they'll be daft enough to forgive him

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #663 on: December 07, 2016, 13:12:00 PM »
In twenty years of visiting Turkey it has never crossed my mind that Turks might be daft about money. But Erdogan left the door open: he called on patriots to convert foreign currency into lira or gold. I seem to remember that only a year or so ago Erdogan was complaining about gold hoarding slowing the economy. Can anyone recall this more clearly?

Ah yes, here it is:
http://www.dailysabah.com/finance/2014/12/28/turkey-getting-gold-out-from-under-turkish-mattresses

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #664 on: December 07, 2016, 13:59:01 PM »
The weak lira is causing problems for companies repaying debt in dollars. In turn this is leading to a rise in bad debts for Turkish banks and that, in turn, is giving them problems in making loans to business that RTE insists must be done. What to do? Simple, just change the rules on how much bad debt provision banks have to make - halve it for small and medium-sized enterprises. Then invest this "extra" cash into Turkish companies.

Anyone see banking failures down this road?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-06/souring-loans-strain-turkish-banks-pressed-by-erdogan-to-lend

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #665 on: December 07, 2016, 15:51:20 PM »
Lots been going on past few days both politically and in the markets - personally, been way more interested in how the EUR/GBP situation is than the lira and getting sorted for our Winter sojourn to south west Spain.  So much to do, so little time...   :)

Anyway, it looks like the government have gone into overdrive in an attempt to shore up the lira.  They've been "persuading" large corporations to convert cash reserves held in foreign currencies to lira and make announcements that future deals (seven figure and up) will only be made in lira.  At least one government department bought over a QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLARS worth of lira this week.  Yep,  $261m changed into lira.

If you add in the pious ones who doggedly believe everything the wee fella says and who have been raiding their mattresses and piggy banks to buy lira then it's hardly any surprise that its improved against most major currencies.

As per usual, he's even managed to make out that this isn't Turkey's fault, oh no sir, it's that big bad boy called Soros who is manipulating the Forex markets to stage an economic coup.  Well, the Daily Sabah certainly believed him and have stated in print that the funds controlled by George Soros are behind the weakening lira.  No mention of the Turkish banking system being downgraded by Fitch Rating from stable to negative for 2017, the difficult relationship with the EU or any of the other domestic factors that have led to wariness about the lira by investors. Its all a western conspiracy you know...!

I'd be surprised if this isn't a temporary blip in the fall of the lira (actually I wont, as nothing surprises me about the Turkish economy any more!) and in a few weeks, maybe even days, it starts the slide once again.

Most of the above is in the HDN and SABAH.

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #666 on: December 08, 2016, 14:44:55 PM »
It's losing ground against the pound today. 4.38 ATM.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #667 on: December 09, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
Well, it looks like days rather than weeks.  Lira steadily losing ground to both GBP & USD despite even more national organisations and institutions selling off their foreign currency reserves. 

JF

Offline yabanci

« Reply #668 on: December 09, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
Lira steadily losing ground to both GBP & USD despite even more national organisations and institutions selling off their foreign currency reserves. 

JF

As well as Reg changing up all his Shoeboxes into Lira, allegedly.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/president-erdogan-has-converted-all-his-currency-into-lira-spokesperson.aspx?PageID=238&NID=107061&NewsCatID=346

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Aye, the wee fella changed a couple of hundred thousand dollars, allegedly.  Doesn't even come under the heading of loose change for him I suppose.

Rather than changing foreign currency to lira, I've heard more recently about folks getting their money OUT of Turkey - and I can't say I blame them. 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf