Author Topic: Bus slogan?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
Bus slogan?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
What are the member's opinions on this issue?
I will state my opinion later.

A poster campaign proclaiming "There's probably no God" does not breach advertising rules, a British watchdog ruled Wednesday after more than 300 people complained.
The atheist campaign, organised in response to Christian adverts, has seen some 800 buses plastered with the slogan across the country. It was paid for by more than 140,000 pounds (200,000 dollars/150,000 euros) in public donations.

A total of 326 people complained, some claiming that the slogan "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life," was offensive to believers. Others said it was misleading.

But the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that the campaign -- backed by the British Humanist Association -- did not contravene the code and it would therefore not launch an investigation.

"The ASA Council concluded that the ad was an expression of the advertiser's opinion and that the claims in it were not capable of objective substantiation," it said in a statement.

"Although the ASA acknowledges that the content of the ad would be at odds with the beliefs of many, it concluded that it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence," it added.

The campaign was the idea of comedy writer Ariane Sherine, who objected to Christian adverts on some London buses that carried an Internet address warning that people who rejected God would spend eternity in "torment in hell."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf