Author Topic: Being a President  (Read 896 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Being a President
« on: November 05, 2012, 15:57:36 PM »
I was watching an interesting programme last night with an interview with a former economic advisor to Obama. He was called to give Obama an economic briefing before he was appointed President in January 2008. He told the incoming President that the country had a trillion dollars of debt, that unemployment was high and would inevitably continue rising for the next few years, that the US was losing out to India and China in world markets, that the US motor industry was on the verge of collapse and this would precipitate other industrial failure and corporate bankruptcy, and so on and so forth.

The advisor concluded by saying that he told Obama: "This is probably the most negative briefing given to an incoming President since that of Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 when he was briefed about the Great Depression, and possibly even the worst  since that of Abraham Lincoln's before he became President in 1860 and was told why civil war was inevitable".

Obama shrugged and said: "It is not even the worst briefing I have had this week!".

Anyone fancy the job?

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Re: Being a President
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »
certainly a role that should come with a lifetimes supply of Grecian 2000 (other makes are available)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: Being a President
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
I would not naturally be a "Democrat" but something appeals to me about Obama and he seems to have a good understanding of how the "average" person feels - albeit he is now "light years" away from them - but his previous experiences allow him to connect.

Hope he wins - Bernanke stays in post - and we don't have to wait a month for various legal challenges whilst the markets nose-dive !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf