Author Topic: Achebe Dies  (Read 852 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Achebe Dies
« on: March 22, 2013, 16:55:20 PM »
Chinua Achebe, the Nigerian author has died. He was a wonderful writer, famous for his "African Trilogy" - Things Fall Apart, No Longer at Ease, and Arrow of God". Nelson Mandela said that in when in gaol reading Achebe's novels made his prison walls fall down. I was thrilled by reading these and must now read his book on the Biafra war of 1967 that was published last year.

RIP

Offline scorcher

Re: Achebe Dies
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 17:44:28 PM »
I've not read any of Achebe's books but will also read his writings on the Biafran war. I was there for Panorama at that time trying to shuttle back and forth between the two armies. So thank you Colwyn for the information.

Offline jondo

Re: Achebe Dies
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 17:48:20 PM »
I just saw your post and zoomed in on the surname Achebe. There was only one I knew of and so it was. Thanks for the news Colwyn.

Things Fall Apart was one of our books at O Level English at my school in Nairobi in 1969  ( .......way back!). Probably due to the school connection I never read any other books by him but I have been aware of his international literary status.

I certainly remember some of the story - especially the 'naughty' bit which received considerable focus from boarding pupils in those days!

May he rest in peace.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf