Author Topic: Changing Priorities  (Read 1583 times)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Changing Priorities
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
For a number of years I had this idea of living abroad not particularly Turkey but to find some where we felt at home but as I have got older I realise that I could not do this on a permanent basis.

Although I love the idea of the lovely weather (not always), culture, food that other counties can offer all of the things that most of us take for granted becomes ever more important as we get older.

I think about people who have lived in an area for years and when they get older they move away from all that is familiar, services and facilities that they will be more dependent on let alone in a new country.

What made me think about this more recently was I have been suffering from back issues, pain killers, Chiropractor and all. One morning I was hardly able to move with the pain, being a male I was told what I should do by my other half and called both doctor and Chiropractor, within 30 minutes I was sitting in front of a doctor, within 60 minutes from leaving there I was hobbling out of one of our local hospitals having had an x-ray. That really got me thinking about how much we have on our doorstep and what we take for granted.

Now I know on this occasion I was probably lucky but it was all there with ease. How easy would this have been if I was living abroad?

Popping to Central London for an evening out, theatre, galleries, exhibitions, all pretty on tap, dodgy comedians in Guildford or Woking a weekend in Devon with a fresh brown crab..............things I would miss if they were not so readily available. We miss things more when we cannot have them.

The recent topic about what people take to Turkey in their cases made me realise that even for some going away for a few weeks meant throwing down the Gauntlet to the customs officials so that they have their favorite bacon or sausages!!!

I know what I have mentioned is not everyone's idea of a good life but I cannot help but think how much I take for granted in the UK, some of the absolute pleasure of going away is to have that change in environment.

And that brings me on to the subject that Wordbird has been asking about, taking a 14 year old abroad to a non-English speaking country, not a decision I would want to make whatever the circumstances!! 

So although there will be plenty out there who enjoy their permanent life abroad, it will never be for me for these and many other reasons, although I hope to in future spend more time away but no too long......  :)  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Changing Priorities
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
Totally agree Teetee,  I love our place in Calis and we both look forward to spending more time there, but we don't want a permanent move.  Strangely, we did think at one time that we would move for good, but we want the best of both worlds.  Love our home and family in Scotland, love our lovely villa in Turkey.  We have the perfect arrangement.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
I too always wanted and thought I could live abroad. But I don't anymore. Must be an age thing!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 13:13:46 PM »
Having lived in Turkey for nearly 6 years (2003-2009) I have absolutely no regrets that we did, however, returning to the UK made us realise how much we took for granted in the UK.  I loved Turkey, the experience I will cherish forever, we now return for long periods but I am always ready for home, UK. 

Like Turkey the UK has many faults, yet I feel comfortable living in the UK, I love my home, walks, climate, seasons, and the ever changing countryside.

Doctors, we all moan in the UK, yet unlike Turkey they are not insisting that I have an MRI when I only asked about a rash,  yet if I want to have a full medical I can do this in Turkey and take any results home to my UK doctor.   

UK to Turkey, half a day, best of both worlds.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 14:13:58 PM »
My first paragraph could be just a cut and paste of Loz's. We loved living in Turkey and loved the life it gave our kids - a loving, caring environment and a pool, what more could any youngster want.

But as I've mentioned before, the amusing tale of losing 3 hours of your life waiting in the bank slowly becomes an irritating experience, and not being fully in control (our fault, we struggled to learn Turkish) is uncomfortable. Sitting listening to others discuss your business for you, then having to accept that what they told you was said was actually what was said is just one of many examples.

Like Loz we cherish our time there but it was time to return to the UK. We now appreciate the UK in a way only someone who has tried an alternative could - had we not moved to Turkey we'd still believe it was fairly drab and uninspiring, but it is anything but. Living in a place where they speak your language is a benefit few would even think of. Having a legal system that everyone understands (and that generally works) is another. How tired was I of hearing stories of people who had been ripped off for anything from a lira upwards and when they confronted their conman/woman were laughed at, or shoulders shrugged in response - knowing damn well that only a fool would chance turning to the Turkish legal system to right the wrong. It's unsettling to live abroad knowing that.

Maybe age does come into it - I admired many a British "senior citizen" who upped sticks, moved over there, bought a car and enjoyed it. But that's the ones who luckily maintained good health. It could be a very expensive place to be if your health started to deteriorate - and quite scary too if you don't know exactly what they are telling you or what they are discussing at the end of your bed.

In summary, glad we went, glad to be back, pretty unlikely that we'll live abroad again  :)

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 14:25:15 PM »
Well I reckon that some of the above posts might well give some people food for thought- second or otherwise.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 15:32:45 PM »
We have travelled the world since retiring 20 years ago. Now we are 80 we have what we think is the perfect solution. We have been visiting Turkey since 2002 and for the last three years we have had 6 months in Turkey and 6 months in the UK.

This year we will be flying out for the first time as in previous years we have travelled out in our motorhome. Last winter we found the drive out a real chore so time to move on, van sold and we are looking forward to flying out at the end of October.

Four years ago we found an ideal place to rent in Keciler in the Kaya valley, a small cottage with all mod cons just one large room easy to heat in the winter.

For us golden oldies we have found the perfect solution for us. We think we have the best of both worlds.

We'll be there in 9 weeks god willing.

DonM

Offline Marggie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 15:44:26 PM »
You have the best of both worlds and long may it last.  Enjoy you next visit.  ;D

Offline Lotty

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 18:14:21 PM »
Lovely post Don. I hope I'd be fit enough to drive all the way to Fethiye when Im 79 or 80! Truly golden oldies! Marvellous.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 19:57:32 PM »
On my first holiday in Turkey, I too had thoughts about a permanent move, but after talking to some of the ex-pats, I realised the best way to appreciate both countries is to enjoy our 3 or 4 weeks in Calis, but to keep our base in the UK.  As has already been said, knowing the language is important, but its also the difference in the culture which is harder to understand the older you get.  Its ok when things are going well, but ill-health and hard times can happen to us all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf