Author Topic: Who I Met  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Who I Met
« on: August 29, 2013, 16:30:46 PM »
There was a recent thread on which members other members would like to meet. Well, I met a member - formerly more active than now - who I was delighted to meet. I was in the village I usually holiday in Turkey and in an off-licence (buying essential supplies) on the "main road". Outside, taking in the sights, strolled a tall gentleman, with a bushy white beard and wearing an unusual Garibaldi-style hat. I hurriedly left the "offy" to accost the flaneur and demand "Is your name Mike?". Of course it was. Known on this forum as mike A, he entertained with fascinating tales about his time in Istanbul in the late 1960s, his employment in the Turkish film industry, his consequential (quite proper) deportation from Turkey, his almost immediate (quite improper) re-entry of the country and much, much else. It was a very considerable pleasure to meet him. Hilary declared "What a lovely man!". I know he wants to come back to Turkey next year. I hope his wish is fulfilled.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 18:44:23 PM by Colwyn »

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Who I Met
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 15:07:44 PM »
Funny who you bump into Colwyn isnt it.
Waiting outside a photo shop in Fethiye a strange lady came up to me and whispered in my ear..
Does the name Menthol mean anything to you..if you thought her laugh was infectious on here
meet her and the lovely jav in the flesh..we laughed the way up to the Notary office.
You know when you meet good people,the sort you would want to have around your dinner table
Loved meeting you both today, looking forward to being neighbours.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 23:38:52 PM »
Colwyn, A finer gentleman than Mike A you could not meet. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family on a CBF boat trip a few years ago. Even now his talents amaze me.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 23:46:18 PM »
And his hats! I remember the very boat trip too, with great fondness.

Back in 2003, I needed to find a villa for our friends who were coming on holiday with us to Calis. I managed to get one 70 metres from us, owned by a lovely couple we had met previously over there, who were from Northern Ireland. On our first ever visit to the UK after we moved to Turkey, we happened to meet the villa owner, in a Tesco in Milton Keynes :o

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 00:39:31 AM »
Some years ago we were on a fly/drive holiday in the US and had left Little Rock, Arkansas heading to Dallas and San Antonio.
We pulled into a motel one night,the Thunderbird Motel near Waco and I went into the office to book in.A bloke came through
to the office and handed me a form to fill in.As I was writing he said "where are you from ?"I said "the UK"he said "Great Barr ?"
I said "yes, how did you Know". He said "you used to come into my shop at the Scott Arms." He used to own a mini-market half
a mile from me.The whole family had moved to the US.He said "too much red tape and unpaid VAT work in the UK". Small world. 

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
I'm in Great Barr Kevin!!!!

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
I went Great barr comp for a couple of years..small world..who  would have thought so far away..

This forum has made us smile this morning.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
Lynne.
The mini-market was on the corner of Pages Lane / Birmingham Road,opposite the Holy Name church.They are a Pakistani family.

slikmrs.
My youngest two sons went to the comp, as did Stevie Windwood. He lived in Atlantic Road,off Dyas Road.He perfected his guitar
skills at the comp at a guitar club run by a music teacher,Tom Knowles in the lunchtimes.He went on to form Spencer Davis with his
brother Muff and others. Small world indeed. I'm not far from the Clifton.      :)  :)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 16:30:54 PM »
Small world indeed!  Kevin, I am sat in my little house on Dyas Road, looking down Atlantic Road! 

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 20:29:23 PM »
Ben at Buddies next to you has cut my hair for the last 40 plus years.      ;D ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf