Author Topic: BBC waste another £3 million of our licence fee on drivel  (Read 1294 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
BBC waste another £3 million of our licence fee on drivel
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
We watched the first episode of "Jamaica Inn" last night. We really tried to understand what they were saying, but even after turning up the volume until the telly began to shake, we still couldn't catch every word. We then had to resort to turning on the subtitles on an English speaking drama (What a joke). The story line had us bored to tears, and how many times does a woman in a muddy dress have to run across a desolate moor in the name of entertainment, for it then suddenly,miraculously,appear clean again two minutes later. Guess what, we won't bother with the next two episodes  >:( >:(

Offline Christie

Re: BBC waste another £3 million of our licence fee on drivel
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 17:17:14 PM »
We started watching it but apart from the dreadful sound quality it all appeared to be filmed in the dark so you couldn't see anything.  Apparently BBC have had about 800 complaints.   We too gave up after about 20 minutes and didn't bother with the next two.   

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 17:46:13 PM »
The title of this thread seems unnecessarily hostile. I am pleased that the BBC is commissioning new drama. Otherwise we will end up with schedules composed of make-money-from-antiques shows, more cooking programmes, daft quizzes, people learning to do things not very well and being voted off, house buying, and miserable soaps. Of course there are going to be some failures but I would rather have that than the BBC playing cautious and putting minimal funding into cheap TV that copies the things that already dominate our screens. Still, the new programme for Saturday night, Celebrity Tightrope Walking and Blindfold Juggling, looks a real winner.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 18:08:21 PM »
The title of this thread seems unnecessarily hostile. I am pleased that the BBC is commissioning new drama. Otherwise we will end up with schedules composed of make-money-from-antiques shows, more cooking programmes, daft quizzes, people learning to do things not very well and being voted off, house buying, and miserable soaps. Of course there are going to be some failures but I would rather have that than the BBC playing cautious and putting minimal funding into cheap TV that copies the things that already dominate our screens. Still, the new programme for Saturday night, Celebrity Tightrope Walking and Blindfold Juggling, looks a real winner.

Totally agree, I always enjoy a good drama, unfortunately this was very sub standard, and so bad that people complained to the BBC about it (very unusual). I find that the BBC dramas are no match for ITV dramas, and always appear to be filmed in very dark locations with poor sound quality ie Shetland. I welcome the day when I have the right not to have to pay to watch a channel that I could well do without.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 18:08:35 PM »
I did not watch this as I have read the book and see it on film and T.V. too many times.  However, I agree with Colwyn (surprise) that the BBC should be spending more money on good Drama.  I was really sorry to hear that they will be making no more of the excellent Ripper Street.  I prefer Drama to all the dreadful soaps and reality T.V programmes.  ;)

Offline patrice

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 18:17:58 PM »
I watched the first episode but the sound quality was so poor that was enough  for me  : :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 18:31:30 PM »
The title lead me to believe they had commissioned another new series of Citizen Khan.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 22:46:52 PM »
I think it's just me, I must be getting old, all dramas are so dark I find myself screwing up my eyes to see more detail. Plus I find the sound muffled at whatever level. . . . Sigh. Depressing but it's not over yet!   ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf