Author Topic: Online scam  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Susiepink

Online scam
« on: June 10, 2014, 13:50:18 PM »
Just to make you aware,those of you who live in UK. My daughter has recently renewed her car tax online and couldn't understand why she was overcharged by 40 quid. It turns out she had clicked on to a site that "helps" you with it, much the same as the Turkish visa scam. The site looks all official, you think you are doing it with the official .gov site but it's not. As its not illegal there is nothing her bank can do to dispute the extra charge.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Online scam
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 14:19:32 PM »
The site looks all official, you think you are doing it with the official .gov site but it's not. As its not illegal there is nothing her bank can do to dispute the extra charge.

While it may not be illegal, if it closely resembles the official site them she may have a case with her credit card company (if she used one) on the basis of misrepresentation. 

JF

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 14:44:07 PM »
To be fair it doesn't. It comes up at the top when you google car tax online. And more observant people would probably notice the very small caption that tells you it isn't connected to the DVLA, and if you scroll right down to the bottom there is another box telling you about the £40 charge. It's the first time my daughter has renewed it online and was blissfully unaware that she wasn't on the official site, and therefore wasn't looking for any catches.

Obviously she hasn't got a leg to stand on, but it's an easy trap to fall into, and I wonder how many other sites are being set up like this

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 15:44:12 PM »
To be fair it doesn't.

You think not?

The "obvious" notice of the charge is conveniently positioned in a block of text on top of an image.

JF

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 16:05:40 PM »
Well, when she realised she had been "done", she contacted the site to query the charge, and then she tried to dispute it with her bank, and they told her that there is nothing untoward in what she had been charged. It's quite legal apparently, but I wonder how many people they are managing to catch unawares, £40 is very steep !

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
Looks like the end may be nigh for a few of these sites...

Five arrests over 'hoax' UK government websites

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
On BBC News this morning 25 websites closed down and people running them have been charged. All are cloning Government Websites. 

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Good news.

Offline snowtop

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
I got done when doing my driving licence online aswell

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »

This message is currently displayed on Taxdisc-direct website.

Server Maintenance

Sorry for inconvenience, our server is currently under maintenance. If you have any enquiry related to you tax disc application, please contact us on apply@taxdisc-direct.co.uk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf