Author Topic: Devastating news  (Read 1448 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Offline GlennB

Re: Devastating news
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 00:07:41 AM »
If this was a missile killing innocent people the danger is it will draw other nations into this conflict. The cynical might wonder if this was the reasoning behind it. I pray it was a tragic accident/mistake in a localised conflict :'(

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:58 AM »
If it was 'a tragic accident' then Boeing will be pooing themselves - second triple 7 down in 6 months.
(and they have no evidence for the cause of the first one yet.) So very sad for all involved  :(

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was flying just 1,000 feet (300 metres) above restricted airspace when it was shot down, according to the European air traffic control body.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/17/malaysia-airlines-mh17-flying-just-above-restricted-airspace?CMP=fb_gu

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »
If it was 'a tragic accident' then Boeing will be pooing themselves

Going by some of the news commentary this morning Kevin it looks like there wasn't much accidental about it.

Looking at Flight Radar you're not seeing much flying at all over the Ukraine today.

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 22:02:47 PM »
80 children among the dead - how heartbreaking is that :(

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 00:51:49 AM »
Very, and also a hell of a lot of top AIDS researchers, activists and health workers who were traveling to a conference in Australia killed too.

http://preventdisease.com/news/14/071814_Up-To-100-Passengers-Board-Malaysian-Airlines-Flight-MH17-Were-Top-Experts-In-HIV-AIDS.shtml

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 20:12:20 PM »
Today's news leaves me furious and devasted in equal measures.. To be looting the bodies and dragging them around the crash site just beggars belief!!!! and not allowing the investigators on there.... Well!!!!! 

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 20:55:58 PM »
Don't feel I can "like" your post Mercury, but I feel your anger and horror!

Offline John64

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was flying just 1,000 feet (300 metres) above restricted airspace when it was shot down, according to the European air traffic control body.
MH17 was en route for 35,000 feet but had to hold 32,000 feet because of other airtraffic. Not that it would have mattered though.

What has shocked me the most up to now, besides the ransacking of the wreckage and the bodies, is the false information provided by Russian media. Last night Dutch TV showed the interview of an OCSE-spokesman at the crashsite as it was aired on the Russian TV. The spokesman spoke English and this was translated to Russian with a voice-over. The Russian translation of that interview (shown in Dutch subtitles) was so completely different it would have been extremely funny if it wasn't so serious.

In my opinion we will never know what exactly happened to MH17. A thorough investigation is impossible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf