Author Topic: Any Idea's Please?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Any Idea's Please?
« on: November 08, 2015, 16:55:41 PM »
Thinking of going back to an ordinary desk top computer. Have laptop and tablet but am tired of having to charge them all the time. I have an unopened new HP wireless printer in a box.
 Any recommendations what to buy?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Any Idea's Please?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 22:01:11 PM »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 22:13:09 PM »
I recently bought a new all in one computer. I started by googling best computer for... what I most wanted it for. In my case photo editing, but not a Mac. I spent a couple of weeks researching and reading reviews and comparisons and related articles.

My advice would be to buy the computer that best suits your requirements with the best technical specs you can afford.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 22:44:25 PM »
I'm confused. You don't want a tablet or laptop as you have to charge them all the time so instead you want a desktop that needs to be plugged in to the mains at all times in order to work?

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
Thanks, going to have a look at the all in one computers. Both my laptop n tablet seem to both run out of charge when I, m in the middle of doing something important. My own fault for not charging them before hand. Yes, I could plug them in and use as I, m charging, but both items seem to still stop midway.So that is my reasoning behind my wanting a new desk top one.
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »
I always had my lap top permanently plugged in (which I know you aren't supposed to do) but after it died the death after 7 years of use I was always forgetting to charge my ipad overnight so can understand why you might want a computer that you turn on when you want to use it and off when you don't. I find I like this and rather than having a laptop set up right next to where I normally sit I like having it away from me. I can always use my ipad when I just want to see what is happening or quickly check my mails.

I've only had my new AIO a week and already I love it. It's got its own little place and one cable.

I had a look back on the list of technical requirements I worked up for myself and I hope you find this with my additional comments helpful. Some is more relevant to my uses and I have indicated this where appropriate.

1. RAM (memory) as big as you can get. I finally opted for 16GB but can increase to 32GB if I find it necessary in the future. Less such as 6 or 8GB may suit your needs but it depends on the amount of software you want to install. Anyone into gaming I think the higher the better!

2. SSD (solid state drive) plus HD (hard drive), again the bigger (GB) the better. If you can't afford a computer with a SSD + HD try to get one with the hard drive that spins at 7200RPM (instead of the usual 5400RPM) as it will make a big difference to its speed.

3. Intel “Core i” processor - mine has i7 4th generation. That's fast and i3 or i5 may suit you. Note for use with Lightroom and PS the software is optimised for intel. AMD may suit your purposes if you aren't into photo editing.

4. HD resolution is pretty standard I think these days for computers and normal use but for anyone into photo editing then a higher resolution is always going to be preferable.

5. Nvidia graphics with minimum 1GB - essential for photo editing on a PC - may not apply for you.

6. Enough USB ports (USB 3) for your likely use and a card reader port.

7. 64 bit Windows 8.1 - you will get the option to upgrade to Wins 10 unless it comes already installed and be warned if updates are tuned to automatic like mine was it upgraded without warning as soon as I turned off and back on again.

8. Wireless keyboard and mouse and touch screen is a nice feature to use occasionally I am finding.

Finally if you don't already have at least one external hard drive I think its worth getting one. I have one for music and one for photos and documents. Everything is always backed up routinely so if anything happens you don't lose it all.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 13:04:49 PM »
Thats brilliant thanks Nichola. Think I, m sold on one now, especially now I know what to look for.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 13:13:54 PM »
You're welcome   :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 15:31:18 PM »
A few other things I found worth bearing in mind are as follows.

Professional reviews tend to be dated, as in reviewed when the model was first introduced so available current models of the same computer may have different and possibly better specs. When looking on line its easy enough to check.

Two computers with the same make and model number may have different specs, so you can't assume because you have settled on the make and model and there are two or more on offer that they are the same.

Budget computers often give in one hand and take away with the other. So you may have to compromise depending on what your priorities are.

If I remember anything else I will post...

Do let us know how you get on   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf