Author Topic: Plans to beautify Calis  (Read 5921 times)

Offline IanK

Re: Plans to beautify Calis
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 16:21:14 PM »
I note the CGI includes a cyclist and a roller blader on the prom.

Personaly, I think there should be a compromise on the prom - something like no wheels after say 6pm.

This way it will be safe when busy in the evenings, but us cyclists can still enjoy a gentle ride along the front when its quiet in the daytime.

(Retreating to a safe distance now the blue touchpaper has been lit)  ;)

Ian

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 16:31:25 PM »
A lot of the character of "Bar Street" was lost when they decided to standardise the externals (and signage).

Offline Steve A

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 18:15:24 PM »
I agree with you Keith I loved the old higgledy piggledy look,also the long stretch between Calis and Gunlukbasi with only Aydin Pide to stop at,Koca Calis Beach before the big hotels and apartments,the open spaces around the market etc.
But love the prom although it’s a few years since the improvements,love the developed sea front and park along the Sea front towards Fethiye.
Got to take the rough with the smooth

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »
I think it's a really tough one Steve. We all hanker for the Calis of old but there's no denying how fabulous the progress has been. The new park, Erasta shopping centre and even the Kordon were pretty unthinkable 20 years go but are such benefits to the area. I remember when there was no kordon - the road was where it still is and the sea was immediately adjacent - it wasn't to uncommon to see a car in the sea having misjudged the tax office corner  :) From there to the harbour corner in Fethiye there were just a handful of establishment like the Yakamoz (RIP) and Hello Cafe.

I like the progress and have the memories. What is equally important is that in the main, the friendliness and kindness of the local folk didn't change.

Offline Gordon Smith

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 16:40:42 PM »
When i first came out to Calis in 1998 I stayed at Park Lane Hotel, up by the now Sunday Market. £70 a week B&B, including collection from Dalaman. It was then a dirt road. What a change now the whole area has had. That was my initial visit and now have an apartment up in Gunlukbasi with 3 trips a year, until this year !!

Offline wishbone

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 13:00:56 PM »
I Agree with Scunner (Keith). Liked the old bar street which was a bit quirky. still things must move on and change.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf