Author Topic: Does anyone support the students?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Does anyone support the students?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:08 AM »
What many of the students fail to grasp is that once they have made their way through university and find a position paying enough that their loan repayments become due, they'll be Tory to the core anyway.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
I support protesting students. I do not support rioting yobs.

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »
I support the right to any PEACEFUL protest, I may not agree with what they are protesting about but ours is a free country with freedom of speech.  I do not support violence and rioting hooligan idiots.  How do they expect their protest to be listened to now?  They are supposed to be the businessmen, scientists, engineers etc of the future, god help us all!

Offline scouser2

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
Totally agree with you Colwyn. i have always supported the right to education, and the right to peaceful protest. The pictures of these yobs desecrating the war memorial sickened me.Shame on them!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:57 AM »
We put our daughter through University in England so I know how much it cost us at that time.  It's not just the fees that have to be considered, it's rent, food, clothes and travel.  I support the students, but I think their cause has been hijacked by anarchists with their own agenda. So wheneven a protest is advertised it's an excuse for the anarchists to get out and cause mayhem.  I really don't have a lot of time for Royalty, but I thought what happened to Charles and Camilla was disgraceful.

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
I do support the students and their right to protest, but as most do not agree with the violence! I watched some of the clips and was disgusted!! Urinating on Winston Churchills statue and desecrating the war memorial shows complete disrespect to their own country. Not only that but the attack on the police horse too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:30:12 AM by sunnyd »

Offline nuttybird

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
I personally do not support the students, I support the right to free speach and peaceful demonstrations, but I just can not get behind the students. OK the fees have increasd but not all of the Uni's are increasing their fees, only some, so it will be a choice for people in which one they want to go to, they do not have to start paying back their debt until they are earning around £21k and then they get a very cheap interest rate. They choose to go to Uni to either further their education or (dont shout at me) doss around for a few more years (only some I may add) because they do not know what to do with themselves. Many of my friends who went to Uni said they would still go now even with the increase, but they worked their way through uni they all had part-time jobs to help out with the cost of the food/rent/books/living etc so for people who want to go, they will have to work. Its everyone individual choice, I choose to work in the City so when my rail fares increase (£1500 in 18 months) (total cost of my ticket NOT including the tube or carparking is £3k annually) I cant really moan, because its my choice! I know the Uni fees are on a different scale, but I am talking about choice here, its everyones choice. hopefully it will help out the country in some very small way also.
The riots yesterday were a disgrace, they were not students protesting they were trouble makers who just wanted a day out and who have probably never been to uni in their life!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
The students union have announced further protests will happen, thus supporting these thugs, they will have absolutely no support from the British public.

if you lay down with dogs you wake up with fleas.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
Doesn't that depend on whether or not the dogs have fleas ?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf