Author Topic: Shameful  (Read 1678 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »

Offline busybee

Shameful
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:20:08 AM »
Footballers need to make a stand for themselves.  Buy a poppy, wear it and be dammed.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Shameful
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
Also Shameful all the people who have been to the Royal Legion Website and bought up the poppy brooches etc.,  are now sellng them for big profits on Ebay, just like last year. Just how low can some folk stoop.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Thinking about all these stories coming out, people are getting very passionate now they have been told they cant wear one, it just may have the reverse effect and the sale of poppies soar.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Shameful
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
The England team should defy the ban and do it anyway.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
Has it never happened before that a British team has been involved in an international match in the same week as Remembrance Day? Surely it must have. If so, has any teams ever worn a poppy before? I must say I cannot remember it, but I am not a football fan. If it has never happened before, then why have the English FA suddenly decided to do it now after more than 90 years of remembrance?

Perhaps this is part of a poppy trend that, in my view, is in danger of devaluing remembrance. I have some sympathy with Jon Snow's objections to this last year, but not for the language with which he expressed it. Television newsreaders have been wearing poppies since almost the start of October; it seems to be compu;sory. I am content to wear my poppy on Remembrance Day and through to the Sunday. And to pause at 11 o'clock and remember the sacrifices of men like my grandfather (who I never met because he died in WWI trenches) and his son, my own father (who returned from WWII with a terminally damaged kidney which led to his premature death when I was still quite young).

It is no surprise that the Daily Mail is  at the front of this tendency to emphasize the poppy in lieu of rembrance itself. I imagine its reporters have been instructed to ferret out a "poppy atrocity" every day for the rest of the week so that its readers can be properly outraged. They have a good start by pointing the finger at FIFA (which is located in SWITZERLAND!) and led by Sep Blatter (who is SWISS!!!) and SWITZERLAND hasn't gone to war with anyone for over a hundred years. Tell you what, why don't we mount a hate campaign against the Swiss. A great idea for remembrance week.

Of course, others have to get in on the act. "Patrick Mercer, a Tory MP and former Army officer, said: ‘The England football team are one of our most precious and proudest assets'." Which clearly shows he knows even less about football than I do.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
They'll be saying next that the Swiss didn't profit from WWII as they where neutral......apart from all the gold, money, diamonds and art work in their vaults

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 13:13:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

I am content to wear my poppy on Remembrance Day and through to the Sunday. And to pause at 11 o'clock and remember the sacrifices...

Exactly my view Colwyn. It appears that people these days are competing to be the first to seen wearing a poppy.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 14:30:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

They'll be saying next that the Swiss didn't profit from WWII as they where neutral......apart from all the gold, money, diamonds and art work in their vaults

Yeah, and their cheese is a rip-off - it's mostly made out of holes. Yah, boo, down with the Swiss!

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Shameful
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 16:16:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

Yeah, and their cheese is a rip-off - it's mostly made out of holes. Yah, boo, down with the Swiss!

Not to mention Yodelling
 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf