Author Topic: Causes of the 2008 Crash  (Read 968 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Causes of the 2008 Crash
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

I found this interesting. It is brief article on the financial crash of 2008 from the viewpoint of the neglected economist Hyman Minsky. Fits pretty well for stuff originally written in the 1980s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26680993

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Causes of the 2008 Crash
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
And a good analysis to how the Coalition Government, or rather its Chancellor, reacted to that crisis can be found in yesterday's Observer, by William Keegan, not just a good columnist but a very astute economist too.  If you ever read one (accessible) economics book (well political economy really) can I suggest Keegan's superb 'Britain With Out Oil. What lies ahead', written in 1984 at the height of the Thatcherite monetarist madness with the North Sea Oil boom at its height, not just an analysis of what had happened to the British economy at that time, but what would happen.  A re-reading today will show how right he was.

Anyway yesterday's article can be found here:-

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/23/william-keegan-osborne-austerity-economic-policy?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20aux-1%20Pixies:Pixies:Position13

Offline suehugh

Re: Causes of the 2008 Crash
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 15:18:44 PM »
If there's a boom, there is always a bust. Look at history. The Tulip boom followed by an almighty bang, and the South Sea Bubble which burst like a ponzi.
We all know how to avoid it. Make hay whilst the sun shines but put a little aside for a rainy day.
Austerity can be a word for cautious financial governance which this government is claiming but I don't think is suceeding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf