Author Topic: Benefits Street  (Read 2582 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Benefits Street
« on: January 07, 2014, 21:18:33 PM »
Just watched this program that was on last night.
99 houses in 1 street and 90% claim benefits. The place is a complete sh1t tip and none of them want to work.
Funny (not) how some of them have Iphones and big plasma tellys
What chance have the kids got being brought up in this environment.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Benefits Street
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 21:53:09 PM »

I have not watched this program, so not able to comment, but my niece who is a single mother of 32 with two teenagers did, she is on benefits and now as the girls are older is back at college study psychology with a view to turning her life around,  she posted the comments from the following link  and commented, as I could not put it any better this is the link and her quote, got me thinking.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/threats-of-death-and-violence-after-channel-4-programme-benefits-street/

Karens comment.
I actually detest the ignorance of these sheep like people more than I dislike the sometimes deviant ways of the poor of this country.
Since when was it socially acceptable to make actual death threats and incite violence in this country? (But it's OK as they are directed at the "scum" of this country?)
That programme did it's proposed job very well and helped make the employed/well off of this country hate the unemployed even more, to the point of these disturbing posts and tweets.
All so the government can justify making even more welfare cuts to an already poor and desperate situation and line their filthy rich pockets some more.
Did anyone actually notice how in the programme it stated at the start that only a small number of folk were employed on that whole street?  Why were THOSE folk not interviewed?  Why were we not shown inside THEIR homes, the ones who are trying to work their way out of poverty?
I struggle to understand why this blatant bashing is allowed to go on, come on Britain wake the up! It's not 'Great Britain' anymore, it's 'Hate Britain'!
Like I said before, Cameron and his coven need to be stopped.

and this was a point of view from a younger generation, it certainly gave me food for thought.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 00:14:07 AM »
Well said Karen!  Good to hear the voice of our youth telling it like it is   :)

Natural evolution is based on the needs of the people & the type of society they wanted to achieve & the rules & culture they want to live by.

Massive changes have taken place in the UK over the last 50/60 years, but more relevant to the present unrest/unease are the migration changes that have been politically engineered & implemented since 1974, now culminating in an open door policy with no or, very few safeguards!

It can't be in any way compared to the TV Doc 'Benefits Street' or the real situation/problem we are all facing now.  I don't recognise this scenario, it's not the 'status quo' I grew up with or, the status quo I see around me today. I'll be interested to see who/what they highlight in next weeks episode as I felt last nights program was very biased & engineered to (yet again) make it 'look' like the people they filmed are typical of 'everybody in receipt of benefits', it could almost be viewed as a 'Racist' view. The protagonists were with one or two exceptions not, I feel 'representative'!

Some people will always be scum-bags, thieves etc, but it's how a society deals with them that causes the problems we are seeing now..... It's also about not automatically writing them off or tarring everybody with the same brush, many of those without a decent start in life can become good, honest, hard-working individuals with the right input in their lives.

Put simplistically, 'good - role models, decent education, housing & career/training opportunity's' are lacking in our now overcrowded & (politically engineered) culturally diluted society. Divide & rule creates a 'dog eat dog' culture.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 00:20:11 AM »
I agree with Karen.

I have already seen a petition to stop more of this series being shown for inciting hatred.

It's a common government/media tactic to create scapegoats for the problems in society and with the economy. Except that as it is private debt (financial services: mortgages, credit card, loans) not public debt that caused the crisis it is ironic that those that rely on the support of the public sector are being made to pay.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 00:56:33 AM »
You have to ask yourself, what was in it for a guy to be filmed, for national television, on a bus removing the security tags from clothes he had just stolen from a shop?

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:46:44 AM »
I haven't watched the programme and I won't be watching it.

My understanding is that someone given access to funding and airtime has produced a piece of sensationalist, hate mongering nonsense that would have proudly sat as a 2 page spread in The Daily Mail.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Why do you believe everything you see on TV?

Please, question everything, don't just gormlessly accept and this country might just stand a chance.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
 I left the UK because of Blair and Brown, but if I was there now I would certainly leave because of two people called Cameron and Clegg. but then what choice would we get? Ed Milliband or Clegg? If Labour had not sadly lost a great leader in John Smith perhaps we would have seen a different Britain today.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
Where do they get these people from to appear in these programmes, like embarrassing bodies, and this latest nonsense masquerading as a serious journalistic or medical programme?  Where's the balance... No that's right there ain't any.

It's another generalised attack on the working class, like the term Chav,  cannot understand how people can believe everything they see on telly or read in hate journals like the Daily Nazi or Scum.

Imagine the fuss if they made a programme called Windsor Street and only visited the homes of say Duchess of Kent or Sarah Ferguson and tried to extrapolate their lives into a sweeping attack on the Royal Family.....

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »

[/quote] I left the UK because of Blair and Brown
[/quote]

And came to a country with a very nice man leading the nation?  Come on Des the reason you left the UK to live in Turkey was more for positive reasons, than the simplistic negative reasons of a dislike for two political leaders.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
Here's another question for members, following this programme...

Would you, if circumstances became desperate for you financially - steal, or shoplift, to feed your children?

I'll start - yes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf