Author Topic: Benefits Street  (Read 2575 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Benefits Street
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »
I've not seen the program but my question would be "How many of the 90% are attempting to get work and get themselves off benefits?"

This is the sort of question these tv makers should be asking. What help are they being offered (if any) and are they accepting it or not?

I find most of these programs very one sided and let's face it - TV is there to attract viewers and sensational stories are the best way.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
I see the "Quote Fairy" is out again   ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
And none of it even related to the post. I have removed it :D

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 14:21:38 PM »
I did not loose any sleep last night yet it still has me thinking.  The CBF on Facebook has someone jumping when I posted this from Karen my niece.  the 2 have posted condemning the young and tarring them all with the same brush, one is saying there are jobs picking veg in fields that the migrant workers take on, the other is upset (rightly so) that she and her husband are suffering at the hands of the system and feels that the young are to blame.  I am not writing it again so will copy it here.

Now the migrant veg pickers, we are surrounded by these fields and see the pickers picked up and dropped off. We also see them arrested, the farmers do not advertise these positions, a contact is made through an agent, not usually a tax paying agent but someone who gets a cut, the farmer is happy as he does not pay tax or NI, he does however keep a skeletal staff " on the books" the migrant workers take there money (no tax) and then hop back when they have enough to their own countries, or stay here and still no tax paid. The ones that return home abroad, then encounter my friend at border control, when they can not produce how they earned the money or provide proof that they paid tax the money is confiscated. vicious vicious circle. we are now seeing many UK citizens working the fields, but of course the news will not report this as there is no shock factor, or maybe there is. Pat I feel for you, and genuinely sorry for what you are going through,  again it has taken my niece to open my eyes to the way the media deal with matters regarding youth benefits etc her friends trying to better themselves, and their opinions, they are taking jobs but get laid off after a short period as the rules of this government are for the employer (another thing I learned) if the employer takes them on and then releases them after a certain time-scale there is no comeback on the employer to pay any monies for unemployment or holidays. Apprenticeships, read this https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide/pay-and-holidays £2.68 per hour and not on the minimum wage until 19yrs of age, to give them incentive why not give them the minimum wage at the start? after all they can fight and give their lives for queen and country. The younger generation see bankers getting £m's in bonus for doind a bad job, Camerons hairdresser getting an MBE honours for cutting his hair, I can see their point when blaming governments not just Condems we are at the moment breeding a generation of young despondents, racists etc. another generation and what will it be, I could quite easily put it to one side and use the saying I will not be here anyway, yet I look at these youngsters and wonder what is install for them.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 15:26:12 PM »
I'd have been interested to see the few on the street who did work and hear their views on their neighbours

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 17:04:33 PM »
Firstly, to answer Scunner, Yes without a doubt although never from someone who would suffer a hardship as a result.

As stated, the question is whether they are actively looking for work and have any intention of taking it if offered. I think the programme failed to distinguish between the two. I have the utmost sympathy for those who would do anything to become self sufficient and not reliant upon benefits. On the other hand I have nothing but contempt for those who are milking the system for everything they can and have no intention of finding work.

I am aware the government introduced a system where those long term on job seekers would have their benefits cut unless they took voluntary work. Anyone know any more about that and if it works? It makes you wonder why the subjects of this programme weren't forced down this road?

Offline peter16

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 19:10:10 PM »
In answer to the "Scunner" survey of course the answer would be yes :( your family must come before any moral nicety  :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 19:24:51 PM »
If you can answer honestly, that you would act illegally if the circumstances required, then it is very difficult to condemn the people in this programme. That's the basis of it, mixed with a cycle that makes it 'normal'. Sons followed fathers followed grandfathers down the pit - and in some of those areas it is like "Benefits Street" today - just a different role to follow.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 20:53:05 PM »

Would you, if circumstances became desperate for you financially - steal, or shoplift, to feed your children?

Yes !

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 22:09:45 PM »
I think the answer has to be yes.
I would also do ANY job to earn money to feed my family.
Given tho choice of dole or picking veg then I would be in the field.
I have nothing against genuine claimants, its the people with nothing wrong with them fiddling incapacity etc that really miff me.

One couple on the program were bleating because they had had their benefits stopped because they were fraudulently claiming £1500 / month and got caught.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf