Author Topic: Europe  (Read 12074 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Europe
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I think you might be right Scunner. Many people seem to think that leaving the EU will solve the "problem" of migration - despite successive governments' failure to cut non-EU migration. It may come down to a question of how much economic damage people are prepared to accept in pursuing the goal of reducing migration. At least Farage is honest enough to say that the political benefits of leaving (as he sees them) will come at an economic cost (which he is prepared to pay).

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
I've been saying it for months that the referendum will swing on migration, which Colwyn rightly points out will not be a very nuanced view of migration, as it will include non EU migration too.  Mind you many people are rightly going to point to the EU border policy causing the non EU migration problem, so perhaps the EU does stand in the dock on both those issue?

Whatever people may think of him Farage will be the decisive figure in the Out campaign - not Gove or Johnson as is being portrayed in the press today - and he will play both the migration and border issues as his trump cards.  He will say he has been open and consistent on these issues.  And it will be difficult for any Tory or indeed Labour or Lib politician to challenge him on these issues, given this and previous governments record on these two key interrelated issues.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 18:01:03 PM »
Farage, Gove and Galloway sharing a bed.

Not sure I can - or even want to - picture that.

I've been in and out so many times I'm just doing the "hokey - cokey" 'til the dust settles.

As much as the  EEC is the biggest global trading bloc we don't actually have to be "in" it to continue trading, do we?

I suspect that Boris officially throwing his weight behind an "out" campaign will sway many people (breaking news....).

I don't know enough to make a decision about which I feel fully confident.

We pay the seemingly more knowledgeable politicians to decide this stuff.

Whatever the outcome, are they not abrogating their responsibilities by even going to a referendum?

Even the media are at odds with each other - tv and newspapers.

Let's just be the 51st state of America and put our trust in Mr Trump.

Deep joy.....

(I think most of my family are concerned with the wholesale price of beef and lamb at the livestock market - with a "bugger them, what do we need these yer Europeans for"?).

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 18:09:41 PM »

Love him or loathe him I think he will have a big impact on the leave campaign. I think he is a decent politician and has put

his beliefs before his career, If the stay vote wins he knows Tory leaders will shun him.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 18:33:59 PM »
I strongly suspect you're right, Kevin.

It's a massive, hammer blow to Cameron who must be in tortures over this.

Boris just doesn't seem to generate the "loathe" feeling in people.

He's far from being the "bumbling oaf" of which he is often accused - and despite his privileged background, he's still viewed as a "man of the people" (which, of course, he isn't).

It'll be interesting to see just how vocal he will be over this. He said it was only after a great deal of soul - searching that he reached this decision and how much he hurts over this seeming act of disloyalty to the leader of his party.

Et tu Boris.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
he's still viewed as a "man of the people" (which, of course, he isn't).
What? Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson not a man of the people! A chap who has been to Eton and Oxford and been a member of the Bullingdon club - just like Dave Cameron and Gideon Osborne. He's one of the boys! Johnson for Prime Minister in the autumn and Trump for President! Grand prospect, eh?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 13:04:38 PM »

By golly,  I'm surprised I didn't bump into Boz during my formative years. His educational history mirrors mine almost perfectly.

I too went to skool.!  Well sometimes I did.       ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 10:20:03 AM »
Well if things carry on like this we won't have to worry about holidaying in Turkey - or anywhere else for that matter - as the pound drops like a stone on Brexit fears. I may have to settle for an ice cream on the prom at Weston-super-Mare. Perhaps it won't rain.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 14:06:16 PM »
I shall just say nil points... You can tell how popular we are with our "European friends" watching the voting in The Euro vision... They don't like us any more than we like them. Germany and France and Italy voted against joining The EU but didn't get a say.. just my opinion of course.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf