Author Topic: You Know,as you do on a Calis Beach Forum.  (Read 2624 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

You Know,as you do on a Calis Beach Forum.
« on: April 16, 2016, 19:37:14 PM »
 : :)

I was thinking of going to Rome for a few days late summer. I want to do the usual sites, Trevi fountain, Vatican and Coliseum. I have been looking on trip advisor and am getting more confused by the minute. So if anyone could point me in the right direction please. Which airport should I arrive at from Manchester. Indeed even which airline, never fancied Ryanair, too many add ons. Once there Should I use one of those hop on n off buses like London? Or should I pay for a guided tour?  Any recommendations for a not too expensive BB/hotel, no Premier inn here me thinks  :-[

Appreciate the help good people  ;D 8) :-\

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Re: You Know,as you do on a Calis Beach Forum.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 20:03:45 PM »
we fly into Ciampino, last time we flew from manchester it was Ryanair. Get a shuttle bus outside the airport for 4euro

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 21:27:34 PM »
If you can get a flight to Fiumicino then you can grab the Metro into town - most of the budget airlines use Ciampino though.

Metro is quick and easy to use, you'll get close to all major attractions and can buy different tourist type tickets depending on how long you're staying. 

Can't remember the name of the hotel we used last time but it was between Termini and Vittorio Emanuele Metro stations and was a perfect base.

This site has lots of useful info:  Rome.info

JF

Offline snowtop

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 21:40:50 PM »
I stopped in Fiumicino at a place called The Aquamarine, which was a B&B.  It is 20min from the centre of Rome and the best way is to use the hop off and hop on busses.  I think whichever hotel you use, they will certainly guide you.  August and first 2 weeks in Sept can be killers due to the heat and tourists.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 21:42:13 PM »
Just came back from Rome in February. Same advice as everyone really metro or bus both reasonable price outside of Airport. We booked with Ryanair then clicked on their link for hotels. Stayed in Trevi B&B 2 mins walk from Trevi Fountain. Nice quaint corner, helpful staff and good selection of fresh breakfast to choose. Would stay there again. Ideal base as most of the day we were out walking our socks off  ;D

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 00:36:50 AM »
Thanks everyone, feel a bit more confident about booking it now. Much appreciated.Bernie

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
Just came back from Rome in February. Same advice as everyone really metro or bus both reasonable price outside of Airport. We booked with Ryanair then clicked on their link for hotels. Stayed in Trevi B&B 2 mins walk from Trevi Fountain. Nice quaint corner, helpful staff and good selection of fresh breakfast to choose. Would stay there again. Ideal base as most of the day we were out walking our socks off  ;D

Hi Rana we are planning a week in Rome at the end of May. Do you think it would be suitable for a couple of 80 year dld who don't do stairs very well. I noticed there are no lifts.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 16:14:06 PM »
Hi Don if you mean the hotel I don't think it had ground floor rooms and also reception was on first floor via a few steps. Rome has many cobbled streets so definitely you need comfortable walking shoes. One of my best cities so hope you get there and enjoy at your own pace. www.treviB&B.com if you want to take a look at their facilities  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf