Author Topic: Riding/Driving - how long/what on a UK licence?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Riding/Driving - how long/what on a UK licence?
« on: June 24, 2011, 21:52:33 PM »
Following on from BM06's post to Joy2 on the bike wanted advert & his reply to a topic earlier this year...

I have a full UK licence for cars, hgv etc but not for a bike...I want to buy a scooter when I move to Calis...

1: I believe I can ride up to 50cc without passing a cbt, is this correct?

2: If yes then how long is this valid for? I've seen terms of 6 months & 1 year used.

3: If there is a time limit can I do the CBT in Turkey or would I need to come back to the UK?

4: I believe that if you are out of the UK for longer than 6 months in a non EU country your UK licence becomes "dormant" in some way, am waiting for a reply from the DVLA on this as can't find anything on their website, any one know the facts about this?

This page:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_10023103

gives this info on obtaining an IDP thus:

International driving permit:-
An international driving permit (IDP) is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. They are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA) and Royal Automobile Club (RAC).

To get an IDP, you must be resident in GB, have passed a driving test and be over 18 years of age. The fee for a permit is £5.50.

5: Is an IDP issued in the UK acceptable in Turkey or do I need to obtain an International licence in Turkey once I get there? If I need a Turkish issued licence how long am I allowed to drive on my UK licence for?

Thanks in advance for any clarification to my questions.

Mark.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 23:16:51 PM »
UK  license can be used for a year and then you should take a Turkish driving test
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/guides/160-how-to-guides/5378-fethiye-times-diy-turkish-driving-licence-guide.html

quote:
If you wish to drive in Turkey, you are required to carry either an International Driving Permit issued in the UK or a notarised copy, in Turkish, of your Driving Licence. Please note provisional driving licences are not recognised. An 'A' category standard motorcycle licence is required to hire motorcycles over 50cc in Turkey. An 'A1' category 'light motorcycle' driving licence is only suitable for motorcycles below 50cc. It is against the law not to wear a helmet.

These may help
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 23:26:29 PM by grahamturner09 »

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Thanks Graham.

In the AA link it says the UK licence is only valid in Turkey for 90 days!

As I understand it I can apply for a Turkish licence WITHOUT taking a test, would like to know what the timescale is for that after entry if possible.

As I'm staying for an initial period of 6 months I don't want the expense of a Turkish licence if it's unecessary, if in doubt I'll probably just do it anyway to make sure!

See why I'm confused?

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Thanks Graham.

In the AA link it says the UK licence is only valid in Turkey for 90 days!

As I understand it I can apply for a Turkish licence WITHOUT taking a test, would like to know what the timescale is for that after entry if possible.

As I'm staying for an initial period of 6 months I don't want the expense of a Turkish licence if it's unecessary, if in doubt I'll probably just do it anyway to make sure!

See why I'm confused?

A freind!!! of ours has been driving on his English licence for 3 years, he gets stopped for checks regular and never had a problem. He always carries a copy of his passport and residency laminated.

I know people who have been driving years on a English licence and had insurance claims with no problems.
I also know a bloke who had is licence traslated to Turkish, went to buy a van with windows ie Berlingo Doblo type and could not have one because they are classed as commercial vehicles.
Mark

Offline billy3107

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:38:40 AM »
You must have obtained your car licence before 1/2/01 to be able to ride a moped under 50cc with no restrictions after this the rules changed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf