Author Topic: A Typical Day in Kaya Koyu  (Read 5165 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
A Typical Day in Kaya Koyu
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:04:57 AM »

5.30   Get up, let the dogs out and the cat in. Make a cuppa. It's gotta be Yorkshire Teabags.

6.00 Make a cuppa .Have look at what's been happening in the world during the night on AoL News and the various forums (forii ?)

7.00 Take the dogs for a walk around "the estate" and let the turkeys out of their coup.  Make a cuppa.

8.00 Feed the turkeys and ducks. Make a cuppa.

9.00 (Mondays) Take the outgoing post up to Hisaronu and collect the incoming from the Ekizler Market in Kaya.

10.15 Curse and swear, because of the noise that the bloody quad-bikes make when they go through the village        

(Tuesdays & Fridays) Go into the markets to get fresh fruit and veg. I don't go near the "tourist" bit of the Tuesday market between Easter and September but in October I go in there looking for bargains.
   Call into the Oztoklu Restaurant in the "Every Day Fruit and Veg Market"and spend an hour or so chatting with Rukiye and Rahim and drink several cups of cay. It gives me a chance to learn more Turkish and for them to learn more English.
   Call into Gima or Migros for other supplies.
   If it's not a market day, I spend time doing odd maintenance jobs around "the estate", chopping wood for the winter, entertaining the dogs, walking through the surrounding forests, winding folks up in the various forums, etc

Afternoons are usually spent doing one or other of the above or out exploring either on foot or in the truck or preparing the evening meal. Or just having a nap.

14.00 Curse and swear, because of the noise that the bloody quad-bikes make when they go through the village again!

As I'm head chef, I spend quite a bit of time preparing meals for that day and also freezing fruit and veg for use over the winter months.

Evenings used to be spent watching Doctor's and Eastenders ( Thank you BBC Prime for the wonderful new schedules. The first real "Comedy Moment" you've had in years) and then perhaps going out for a walk around the village to friends or one of the many eateries in the village for a tea and/or coffee.

At the moment we tend to spend the afternoons just chilling out because it's too hot to work and then doing the odd jobs or going for a walk during the evenings.

We eat out perhaps once or twice a week.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
What a life I must have some of that,KKB we are coming to Kaya next week might bump nto you

Ron

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:40:34 AM »
Only wind up forum (fori?) members on Tuesdays & Fridays .. you are having a larf!!!:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 10:44:15 AM »
Ron,

Let me know when you're out here.

Offline teresa321

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:45:28 AM »
Mick has no wood to chop or turkeys to let out so he will be able to relax when we get out there.  

Hope to get to Kaya soon ourselves, it is amazing how we always plan to go but time just disappears in 2 weeks and you wonder where it went. Can't see you dying from stress KKOB. Is there a book you can recommend on freezing and drying that we can bring over as I also hope to have a go.  

Teresa

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »
I just chop the veg etc and stick it in a tupperware type container or plastic bag and freeze it. If it doesn't work, I'll just cook it and feed it to the dogs.

Haven't used any books but I'm sure you could get info through one of the search engines.

Offline teresa321

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:32:57 PM »
I have been looking at them but just don't know any good titles.  Used to do sweetcorn years ago when I lived in Dorset and then we blanched them but it was different times for different veg.  I have tried sun dried toms in Turkey without much success (went mouldy) but the chillies were ok.

Teresa

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 16:45:13 PM »
Thats very similar to my day here in Kings Heath, Brum Al. Although there are a few differences. See if you can spot them...

12.30 Get up, let the dog out (Well who else is going to put a bet for me) Open a can. It's gotta be special brew.

13.30 Have another can. Switch on the Telly and watch Trisha.

14.30 Take off the dogs muzzles and let them run around "the estate" and take the cheapo burgers out of the fridge and open an 'all day breakfast in a can. Have a can.

17.30 Beat the Mrs up. Have a can. Say sorry to the Mrs even though it was her fault..she must have said something to upset me. Count the kids.

18.30 Have a 7 cans.

23.00 Have a night cap, a 6 pack of Stella.

11.00 (Mondays) Sign on (I hate getting up early)
13.00 Curse and swear because its the only thing I'm good at.

UnCANny eh!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 17:32:32 PM by Steve B »

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:20:24 AM »
Alan - no wonder the tea bag supply does not last!!

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
Steve B
I got up this morning had time to spare checked out the sites and read your message.
What a tonic just hope I can stop laughing at my work
Thank you
Heather

KKOB
You have got it made.  We took a walk up to Kaya from Hisaronu and it was so peaceful.  One of my best holiday memories was that walk and passing a Turkish gent wallking along reading his paper who just turned and smiled and said Merhaba.  Lovely

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf