Author Topic: Travellers cheques  (Read 2261 times)

Offline busybee

Travellers cheques
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »
Our friends coming over have asked us if its viable to bring travellers cheques.  Do you have to pay commission on them when you change them over here.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Travellers cheques
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 14:16:56 PM »
In my experience you get ripped off by dodgy exchange rates in every country when using traveller's cheques. This is usually a hidden cost of about 3%. The only exception to this was when I decided to take TCs to France and opted for them to be issued in Francs (obviously a few years ago) - present a TC for 500FFs; get 500FFs. I don't suppose you can get them in Lira in the UK.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Travellers cheques
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 14:23:43 PM »
I wouldn't consider them.  Reason:  you have to go to the bank to change them (unless you're in the US) and they're not always open.  You could, I suppose go to the bureau du change but you have commision to pay.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Travellers cheques
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 16:20:11 PM »
Try & get them to open a Nationwide flexaccount & apply for a debit card. It'll save them a heck of a lot of money every time they venture abroad in the future.
I agree with Colwyn. The only place I'd even consider using is USA - where they can be used the same as cash & I'd only buy to take to US if the exchange rate I was offered when buying was really, really good. (As it is now). If we were going to US later on this year I'd be tempted to buy dollar travellers cheques now.

Offline DrapeS

Travellers cheques
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 20:12:44 PM »
If you are visiting or staying in Hisaronu there is a small shop called "The Sweet Shop" on the right hand side just before the SunTrap restaurant. They will exchange travellers cheques for anyone - they will need to see your passport the first time though. Not sure what they charge if anything or what rates they give but will find out for you.
Sue

Offline busybee

Travellers cheques
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 21:17:36 PM »

sorry a bit late in responding but thanks everyone for all the info regarding travellers cheques.  Will tell our friends not to bother with them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf