Author Topic: 14 year old  (Read 2703 times)

Offline tracey1398

14 year old
« on: January 04, 2008, 18:41:49 PM »
hi, first of all thanks to everyone who has answered the questions i have been asking so far :) we should be coming over to calis in feb to live here and i would like to get a tutor to teach my 14 year old basic lessons and turkish, i wondered if there were any more parents of teenagers that wanted to share a tutor or if anyone knows a tutor thanks

Offline doll

14 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:16:11 AM »
i think there is an international school in fethiye (by the otogar along by the canal)
or you could get into a local school
scunner may have more info about the schools, he has 2 girls which attend a school here.
good luck.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
14 year old
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
It might be worth emailing Cockney Girl  - she has two teenage girls who moved across with her to Turkey a couple of years ago - both attend the school in Fethiye, but their Turkish is superb.  I'm sure she will be able to give you some advice  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
14 year old
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:43:50 AM »
Ilknur (who is arranging the Turkish lesson groups in Calis) can offer private lessons and is very good, and not expensive.

Do you mean over and above attending school or instead of?

There is talk that non-nationals who move here and don't enroll their children in school no longer being eligible for residency here until they do - such is the concern at the numbers moving over and deciding that their children don't need schooling. This is a correct reaction - children under 16 should be in school!

Ata School in Fethiye has been excellent for our girls, they love it and I would recommend it fully.

Offline Vix

14 year old
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 13:32:26 PM »
Can I just vouch for Ilknur as Im making more progress in her lessons than I ever have with anyone else (and Ive had my fair share of lessons lol)

Vicky

Offline tracey1398

14 year old
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 14:28:59 PM »
Thanks for advice i have been to see ata school for my 9 year old and it seems perfect its just my son, its difficult to know what to do because i understand that its no good him going to school until he learns turkish but i would like him to carry on with his schooling alongside this

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
14 year old
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 15:08:55 PM »
That isn't right Tracey - Ata will give all the intensive learning he needs alongside 'normal' lessons. You need not worry, the speed he will pick it up at that age is astonishing.

Offline tracey1398

14 year old
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 19:23:27 PM »
i know they will take my 9 year old but i didnt think they took 14 year olds

Offline chewyturk

14 year old
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
My daughter went to Ozel Ata for the last 3 months april-june and didn't like it. She's now in a normal government school  and loves it although she's the only non-turk there!!! Must say i thought Ata was nice and there's a teacher from NZ (Jane) there that is very helpful.
Scunner's right about the Turkish - you'll be amazed how quick your kids pick it up !!!

Offline chewyturk

14 year old
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 11:17:58 AM »
Just another thought....
You could drop them straight in at the deep end and put them in school - they'll probably be fine or seeing as though you're coming in Feb, maybe forget the school (finishes in june anyway). Just get a Turkish tutor for the kids to teach them the basics, also lots of tutors around that teach maths etc at home and give them time to settle-in to their new life. Then enrol them for the next school year in september.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf