Author Topic: AIR CON MAINTENANCE  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Lakers

AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« on: April 13, 2008, 22:04:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

Please can anyone advise, just recieved notification from my service provider to maintain my air con units. The costs equate to £30 callout and £10 per unit plus materials gas etc. Can anyone advise if these costs are reasonable, likely service intervals in relation to useage, expected costs and alternative maintence providers.

Regrds

Mark

Offline grahamturner09

AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 22:30:48 PM »
looks good to me you would'nt get it dine in the uk for that

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 23:08:52 PM »
Lakers, Maint of air con units generally consists of cleaning of filters in the indor unit (which is easy to do should be done regularly) & check for correct operation eg fan runs, unit heats & unit cools. For outdoor unit its a general look over, make sure there is no blockages in the cooling fins, check the fan runs ok and then they check for gas pressure. Ours were 4 years old last season & have not been maintained by an air con company but I clean the indoor filters a few times each season.
If I was offered a service at the costs you have been quoted I would go ahead. They could probably do 3 a/c units in an hour so in our case it would cost £60 to have ours done. If they are doing a complex then I think its a bit unfair to charge you all the £30 call out charge.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:58:11 AM »
Should this be done on a regular basis ?  I am wondering whether ours are ready for a check.  2 years old, used perhaps 4 weeks each summer and as heaters for 2 weeks each winter.= ?  should I be getting ours done this year do you think ?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
If it cools ok I would just make sure that the indoor filters are clean. These are normally located behind the grill on the indoor unit and are easily removable, they are meant to be done every 4 weeks according to our manual. If it doesn't cool ok its likley the system needs re gassing and  this will need doing by an installer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:10:26 PM by bewva »

Offline Alan Keating

AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 13:51:49 PM »
Mark,
I have copied what is recommended of the "average" unit, I suspect if you apply common sense to the cleaning etc, all will be well for many years. 8)

I trust the following UK detail helps: -

SPLIT SYSTEMS INCLUDING HEAT PUMPS - SPLIT SYSTEMS - air-cooled with direct expansion evaporator (DX), with gas, hot water or elec. htrs  

These are primarily two units with either integral or remote air-cooled condensers working with direct expansion coolers, primarily for room air conditioning applications. The frequency of servicing or cleaning will depend upon the working environment and the amount of usage.

ITEM FQ ACTION NOTES
Cooling.      
1. Compressor. 6m Check for undue noise or vibration. Check discharge and suction pressure and check superheat under full load condition.  
2. Compressor suction. 6m Check for symptoms of ‘wet' operation or excessive superheat.  
3. Refrigerant.      
a) charge. 6m Check level in receiver and/or liquid line sight glass. Note: Any significant shortfall or frequent topping up may indicate leakage and should be reported to client.
b) leaks 6m Test accessible parts of system. Pay particular attention to bolted and flare connected joints, sight glass glands and any pressure relief valve vent to atmosphere. Note: any removed refrigerant (CFC) must be recovered and not released to atmosphere.
Only a REFCOM registered engineer should work on this equipment.

Frequency 1W 1M 2M 3M 4M 6M 12M 18M 24M 36M 48M
Cumulative Timings 0 0 0 0 0 1.00 0 0 0 0 0

54-02 SPLIT SYSTEMS INCLUDING HEAT PUMPS - SPLIT SYSTEMS - air-cooled with direct expansion evaporator (DX), with gas, hot water or elec. htrs  
ITEM FQ ACTION NOTES
4. Condenser and evaporator fins. 6m Check for damage and/or dust accumulation. Clean as necessary. Do not use CFC's (refrigerant) for cleaning tubes use dry nitrogen or compressed air. Sterilisation may be required.
5. Fans and motors and damper drive motors (if fitted). 6m Check bearings and lubricate as necessary. Inspect and check on fan guard covers and inspection plates. Where appropriate check drive belts for condition and tension. Adjust or replace as necessary. Ensure that all bolts, screws etc. are in place and tight. (See also MOTORS)
6. Evaporator and drains, dip tray and pump. 6m Check and clean. Check condensate drain is clear and clean. Sterilisation may be required.
7. Compressor capacity control and unloaded start valves (if fitted). 6m Check for correct operation. Check motor current against commissioning data. Compressor unload on start should reduce and increase capacity on demand.
8. Refrigerant pipework. 6m Check for vibration and rectify any loose or inadequate support/fixing. All pipework joints should be brazed or welded. To prevent internal scaling use dry, oxygen free nitrogen (OFN) during the jointing process.
9. Filters. 6m Check condition and replace as necessary.  
10. Insulation. 6m Check condition. Repair and reseal as necessary.  

54-02 SPLIT SYSTEMS INCLUDING HEAT PUMPS - SPLIT SYSTEMS - air-cooled with direct expansion evaporator (DX), with gas, hot water or elec. htrs  
ITEM FQ ACTION NOTES
11. General cleanliness. 6m Clean surfaces of compressor and components of condensing unit. Remove any dirt or rubbish from vicinity of plant.
12. Electrical. 6m Check for damage to flexible conduits. Tighten all terminal connections. Isolate local control panel and inspect for signs of overheating. Check integrity of electrical insulation. If main fuse carrier connections to compressors show any discoloration they must be changed.
13. System operation. 6m Confirm that it is in accordance with design parameters. i.e. Start/stops and capacity regulators should be in accordance with externally applied control systems if applicable.
Heating.      
1. Gas Fired. 6m See relevant BURNER section.  
2. Hot water supply. 6m See relevant HEAT EMITTER section. Check for leaks. Check anti-freeze protection on heating coil.  

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 19:33:43 PM »
Pardon.   :D

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 22:35:04 PM »
Your first line says it all I think Alan

Offline grahamturner09

AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 22:45:21 PM »
you could have just emailed the manual

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
AIR CON MAINTENANCE
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 00:15:40 AM »
Graham. Alan has gone to a great deal of effort to try to be helpful. He is far to polite to comment on your sarcastic remark but I'm not so "Up your's". If you intended a joke then just add a smiley or something as Crabbit did :D
Ken [:(!]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:04:28 AM by kenkay »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf