Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 4273 times)

Offline ZwaaiHaai

• Zapped Profile
Mobile Phones
« on: July 27, 2004, 13:17:00 PM »
How is the market for mobile phones in Turkey? I already have an SIM-card and abbo, but want to buy a new phone.

Do they sell fancy sim-lock free phones and are de prices much lower than in western Europe? I only plan to buy if the price is very very okay since returning for warranty is not an option.

However, would be a great excuse to return in the winter time to Calis  8)

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 20:08:03 PM »
Most digital technology is cheaper in the Uk, I have a freind in Calis who buys my old phones off me as he can't buy them cheap in Turkey

You also need your UK phone unlocking here to make sure that it works with any sim card ( hence sim free )

Ron

Offline WalgraveChippy

Mobile Phones
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 20:27:28 PM »
The good news is that there ain't a phone in the world that the Turks can't unlock.

Offline Scouser

Mobile Phones
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 13:43:21 PM »
@WalgraveChippy: There is a phone they can't unlock, I gave a Sharp GX1 to one of our friends out there and he had to give it back to see if I could get it unlocked. He even sent it away to Izmir and they couldn't do it there either.

Offline ColinT

• Portsmouth, UK
Mobile Phones
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 13:48:28 PM »
On my departure from Dalaman airport in June, one of the shop assistants in the duty free shops in the departure lounge offered to buy my phone off me for £50 cash.  I was tempted as I'm due an upgrade on my phone soon, but didn't want to leave myself uncontactable when I got back to Gatwick.  So, next year I may round up any "old" phones me and my friends have and set up my own stall in the airport!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Phones
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 10:53:44 AM »
I didnt even get as far as the shops.... When I went through the first security check at Dalaman last month one of the guards spotted my Nokia in the tray.  He picked it up and tried to get me to swop my Nokia (a brand new 6100) for his battered and dirty old Ericsson.  

He wouldn't take no for an answer and held up the sizeable queue of people behind me while he did his best to make me swap phones.  He eventually got the message and gave me my phone back, but it prob took the best part of 5 - 10 mins.  By this time another guard had come over and was letting other people through but was encouraging this one to try to get my phone.

The only thing that bothered me about the whole affair was the dirty looks I was getting from the people queuing behind me, but with hindsight, the situation could have been a bit intimidating to some people and they may have ended up swopping just to get away.

Has anyone else had probs like this at Dalaman?

JohnF

Offline tel

Mobile Phones
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 20:45:10 PM »
Never been stopped like that, with a mobile...and I usually carry two.
A UK one and another with a Turkish sim card in.   But did you know you are meant, I believe, to carry a certificate for the phone with you and only recently I discovered one phone per person.
Camera also, only one.  With five films only.
Good job we're mainly digital...LOL
Tel

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 21:49:33 PM »
If you are bringing a phone, best to make sure it is a Nokia as these are very easily unlocked in Fethiye. I had to send my Sony to a friend in Istanbul to get it done !!!!

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Phones
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 22:18:11 PM »
Where in Fethyie Delia? any idea?
Cheers
Anne

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 22:44:00 PM »
Try Nobel phone shop on the same side as the post office as you are walking into Fethiye main street near to the new patisserie which used to be Star Ata supermarket.It in the row of shops between where the old government hospital and the Post office(PTT)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf