Author Topic: Electrical Returns Policy  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Shakira

Electrical Returns Policy
« on: August 30, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
Does anybody know what the returns policy is on electrical's or if there is one in Turkey.  We brought a small stereo went to use it and it doesn't work.  Took it back to the shop and they will only fix it, not exchange it. Has anyone come across this problem before.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »
Shakira, just deleted the same question in the good and bad shop guide, you don't need to ask twice.

Tinx ;)

Offline Shakira

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 13:01:51 PM »
Sorry Tinkerman ;)

Offline tonysue

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 20:07:03 PM »
We bought a DVD player from Migros a few months ago. The audio went out of sync about 15 minutes into the movie but we blamed the copy discs. Same discs played fine in UK so we took the player back to migros and they refused to change it. Said we had to send it way for repair which is not possible as we dont live in Turkey. Lesson- dont buy anything electrical in Turkey if you can fit it in your suitcase from the UK. Apart from the fact Turkish electrics are expensive, they are usually a c**p make.  Beko is considered top notch in Turkey but only because Sony, panasonic etc. wouldnt sell on price. Beko is considered cheap sh**e in the UK

Offline milliemars

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 20:21:37 PM »
I bought a water cooler from Bim,which went wrong they gave me my money back.I did only have the cooler a couple of weeks though

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:45:35 AM »
Generally they will only repair and require warranty. We exchanged in Migros once but they demanded we return in original box (so dont throw away)

Offline LyndaDiane

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 22:13:11 PM »
I have done quite a bit of research on this.  The consumer laws in Turkey are very similar to the UK.  If something doesn't work or break within the guarantee period you are entitled to a refund or a new product.  Most shops will not do this or appear to know that this is the law.  You do need the original packing and you do need a receipt.  If an item breaks or doesn't work and you have the box and the receipt and they still insist on sending the item to that NeverNever Land called 'Servis' - simply mention the word 'Kaymakam' - this will strike fear into the hearts of even the bolshiest shopkeeper.

The Kaymakam office acts as a kind of Office of Fair Trading and they can help you with small disputes.  If you have a dispute with a shop in relation to goods under 600 lira (I'm not 100% sure of this figure, but its something like this amount) you can go and make your complaint to them and they will help you get your money back.  I have used this tactic on three occasions and on  each I have received my money back.  I have not had to go to kaymakam because the very use of the name has always brought about the desired result.  Actually you can bandy the name about in almost any situation where you feel you have been ripped off or ill treated and you will generally get your own way!

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:39:09 AM »
That's very handy to know, thanks Lynda. Alan

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
We bought a DVD player from Migros a couple of years back and it packed in after a few days. It went back in the original box and with a receipt and they exchanged it no problem. I think it was a Vestel and we replaced it with a Premier?? New one has been fine and even survived a flood once it dried out.

Offline kevin b

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Will items only be replaced if you have original box & packaging?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf