Author Topic: A day out in Meis  (Read 9815 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A day out in Meis
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
Yesterday we went for a day out in Meis with some freinds who had to re-new their visas, had a great day and what a lovely little place to visit :)
We also found out whilst we were there that it has a small airport that does daily flights to Rhodes £28 each way :) so another trip being planned for a few days away now 8).

I have picked out a few pics to give an idea to those that have never been..

This what the island looks like soon after leaving Kas

This is THE Duty Free shop, first shop you come to as you get off the boat, you can go in here first get your shopping but leave it in the basket by the till and pay when you get back ;)

you can even have fish and twix:D

have a good look around there are lots of little shops hidden away, we found Lurpak butter,Weetabix,Cheese,Digestive biscuits,Pork chops, good wine, we also stopped in two of the local hostilries for a pint of Amstels and some nice food 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tinx ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:22:31 AM by tinkerman »

Offline Linda

A day out in Meis
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
The pictures are great Tinks and it's interesting to hear about the flights over to Rhodes - I knew there was an airport but wasnt aware that they flew internally over to Rhodes.

There also looks to be quite a lot more in Meis than I was told there was. Also intersting to hear that you bought duty free goods back as I was told by someone who went recently that there was a strict no food policy and a limit of 1 bottle of spirits!

We're off to Rhodes for our visa trip next week as we're making a short break of it - better to do at this time of year than in the July heat we thought. I'm looking forward to visiting Meis later in the year  8)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A day out in Meis
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
Linda there is a sign up in the boat about restrictions but asolutely no checking procedure was carried out ;)

Offline philrose

A day out in Meis
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »
The duty free/food situation tends to be a total lottery sometimes no checks, sometimes very strict. So you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A day out in Meis
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
oops forgot to mention the corned beef as well!

Offline tylerbabe

A day out in Meis
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »
We went with friends in the summer who had to renew their visa but we where told before we went 1 bottle each 1 box cigarette how has it changed so quickly. :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
A day out in Meis
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
When we took the ferry to Rhodes last year we took a suitcase as we were staying for a couple of days.  Our suitcase was searched on the way in and my husband was asked about a packet of cigars he had in the case, he just said he brought them to smoke himself.  On the way back with the same case now including cigars, plus a couple of bottles of alcohol bought in Rhodes, there was no search!!
Jacqui.

Offline littlereddevil

A day out in Meis
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
Looks a lovely little place. May go on a day trip just for the sake of it.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
A day out in Meis
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
There's also a regular ferry service between Meis and Rhodes every Wednesday.

It leaves Rhodes at 06.50 and arrives at Meis at 11.30. Stops for 20 minutes or so and then returns to Rhodes. It's run by Blue Star Ferries. http://www.bluestarferries.com/ENGLISH/defaultmain.htm and is the main supply line for the island.

The next time I go on the visa run I'm looking at doing a round trip something on the lines of Fethiye - Marmaris - Rhodes - Meis - Fethiye. Should be a nice 2 day jolly.

Offline daveG

A day out in Meis
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 19:15:57 PM »
littlereddevil you will love Meis, we tend to have overnight in Kas and then over to Meis following morning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf