Author Topic: Walk to the Airport - A Dalaman Transfer Warning  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Walk to the Airport - A Dalaman Transfer Warning
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
News reaches me that SIX minibuses/people carriers were terminated at the Police security check outside Dalaman last week, in a crackdown on illegal transfers. Drivers who could not show their Tursab papers, correct insurance, commercial driving permits and/or Tourism Agency license.

Of course it's been covered many times on CBF that you are saving maybe £10 but you are not insured - your UK holiday insurance may also not pay out if you have an accident en route.

Now, that didn't seem to worry the cheapskates much as the unlicensed business seems as busy as ever apparently. So, let's try something new to make people think about how important that saved tenner really is...

The passengers in the six stopped transfer vehicles either had to walk with all their luggage from the security area to the terminal, or phone a Dalaman Airport taxi to come and get them, at a shocking cost

It's up to you, but that's a bloody long walk lugging a suitcase in the heat. Is it worth the risk for a tenner?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Its the same old story. People will do their best to save a few quid then they will go in the airport & think nothing of buying a maccy d or burger king at rip off prices.
I liken it to maintenance charges If you are happy with the price you pay for the service you get then you are not getting ripped off. If you pay less and are not happy with the service why have the stress.

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 18:52:23 PM »
Hang on a minute Keith, a very scathing comment but did the people who booked these particular transfers know that the companies were not Tursab registered?  A valid comment but not very well delivered. ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 18:56:26 PM »
They'll know next time Eric. The information is out there for those who don't know and need to research. The rest can walk. Pretty well delivered I thought.

Offline Eric

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 19:15:06 PM »
I still think you are being harsh for someone who does not have a vested interest in taxi companies.  The customers could be very innocent and did not know the rules and regs here.  It could have been their first visit and are not members of CBF (there are some out there:D) Yes they will know next time, if there is a next time.  How many of us know all the rules and regs of countries we visit for a holiday? particularly for the first time.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 19:18:48 PM »
The best one we heard was a fella getting a taxi to the airport and it cost him £90, because the driver said he wanted to save on the tunnel money,

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 19:21:18 PM »
The point is that you should do your research, wherever you travel to. Ok I take the point about first time visitors who may be duped into thinking it is legit, but the people I think of are the "repeat offenders" - and I can think of many of those.

Offline cheerful

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 20:10:51 PM »
We are out in the Summer and have hired a car. My daughter's friend is arriving by herself whilst we have the car. We hope to get her from the airport as she is on her own. Will that be a problem?

thanks
Janet

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 20:26:01 PM »
We picked up at the airport in a hire car at easter with no problems, we did find out later however that it would have been prudent to have my passport & drivers licence with me, fortunately they did not stop us.

Offline farmer

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 20:47:48 PM »
I had a problem just once whilst collecting someone from the airport.
A Daughter of some old friends in England, accompanied by her female workmate, came to stay with us following a brief visit by her parents.
I had not seen the Daughter for some 10 years, when she was ten years old.
Just to be safe, my wife and I stood at the top of the exit ramp carrying a sign with young ladies name on it.
Some uniformed official approached me and asked who I was meeting. I explained it was a house guest, the daughter of some English friends.
The official said I need a permit or some such thing: he insisted he had to fill sign a form which he was carrying and demanded my ID ( passport ) and evidence of residency. He then said I would have to pay ( amount unspecified ) before I could collect my passengers.
After he had completed his form, some 10 minutes later, he told me to sign it at the bottom.
Just as I took his pen, a group of arrivals rushed ot of the door, and two abolutely gorgeous twenty year old girls rushed across to me, one giving me a great hug, calling my name and saying " It's great to see you again"
The Official tore the form off his clipboard, scrunched it up, threw it down and stamped on it, spat at it and went off in a huff.
Moral - maybe - do not take a name sign as it may look as if you do not know who you are meeting and so could be thought to be providing an unlicensed and unregistered pick-up service.
farmer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf