Author Topic: ,Smoking Restrictions July 19th 2009  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
,Smoking Restrictions July 19th 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 18:56:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

Starman rocks

Hey Steve, you are getting a fan club. And about time too. But don't tell Linda1857.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 21:46:22 PM »
Ian/Nigel, Is it yourselves, or the smoker that gets fined,being that its not like the UK,
even the UK are not totally adhering to the rules,the ash trays come out in our local, but they can lock the doors, ;)
see you both soon.:P

Offline kismetbar

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 01:11:59 AM »
Hi Laffa....you have raised a very interesting question which I can answer..

The person caught smoking will be fined (I think 60 tl) but the bar owner will be fined 10 times that....600 tl.

This equates to 200 efes...at Calis Prices......(remember the Efes debate)

With the greatest respect to all who have joined in this debate...especially Steve  (at last I know your name) I am still not convinced.(but thankyou for your input)

I really do believe it will be yet another scam to extract moneys from already cash strapped bars (already having to deal with increased Tax's and Fines..)

Call me cynical if you wish...but wait and see

Regards  ian

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »
Have just read an article which mentioned places where the ban is excluded........and guess where.........POLIS STATIONS: :)
So if you want a quick drag....get arrested:D

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 06:28:27 AM »

Ian, the fine are in the translation you posted, 69Tl for the smoker and between 560TL and 5600TL for the business that allows it. I take it that there is a sliding scale of fines depending on how many warnings have been given.

Baz 8)

Offline starman™

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »
call the helpline on 444 1016. Have a Turkish person do it for you and they can answer any questions.

Offline kismetbar

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
Check out fethiyetimes
www.fethiyetimes.org.uk

The Turkish Government will introduce a smoking ban within all bars, cafes, coffee houses and restaurants this Sunday 19th July.

It follows legislation that in May 2008 outlawed smoking in workplaces, shopping centres, schools and hospitals.

The Boss Said So

The new law has been championed by the Turkish Prime Minister who is a non smoker of course.

Supporters of the ban say he has put the health of the people above popularity.

Will it be Enforced?

It is estimated that around 35 percent of all adult Turks smoke and of those around half of those are men.

A recent survey estimates that 90 percent of Turks support the ban on smoking but are concerned that the new law will not be enforced.

According to Sabah newspaper the government has a total of 1,571 teams in 81 provinces who will be assigned to inspect that the ban is being enforced.

Meanwhile coffee house owners, the domain of the male smoker, are up in arms and are planning to take to the streets on 19th July to protest at the ban.

They say the ban will put them on the dole queues.

They could well be right.

The UK ban has put many pubs out of business as smokers stay at home to indulge their habit.

Where Can I Smoke?

According to a roughly translated version of the law 4207 bars, restaurants, hotels and other such establishments are forbidden to allow smoking indoors.

'Indoors' includes not only fixed buildings but also some awnings, tents and other closed in spaces that extend from the establishment.

Places exluded from the ban are few and far between but include hotels rooms allocated for smokers, small areas set aside in residential homes, certain care establishments, police stations and international ferries.

Fines of between 560 TL and 5,600 TL can be levied to establishments breaking the new law.

Not only that but individuals could also face fines of 69 TL if found smoking in prohibited areas.

So if in doubt smoke outside, and don't forget to pick up your butts, as the law will also extend to smokers littering.

Other Changes

The law also places tough restrictions on the presentation, advertisement and use of tobacco products within the media and on display in shops.

Readers may already have noticed that scenes involving smoking in films and TV programmes shown in Turkey have the sticks greyed out in an effort to take the charm and 'coolness' of smoking away from impressionable viewers.

These restrictions are tougher than even those of the UK that still allow smoking to be shown on the media if it is relevant to the scene.

It is already illegal to sell tobacco products to persons under the age of 18 but the law introduces new fines and custodial sentences.

It also appears to forbid shops to display tobacco products where they can be seen by persons under the age of 18.

Will It Work?

All in all the new smoking ban shows that Turkey is getting tough on the weed and, with the prime minister the architect of the ban, it is likely to be enforced and therefore succeed.

Thanks Iain

Regards  Ian

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »
It is estimated that around 35 percent of all adult Turks smoke and of those around half of those are men.

which means that the other half would be .....erm, women?

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 13:28:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kismetbar

theres not a drinking ban is there....yet!!!!

Dont hold your breath! That'll be next!

So thats it then! No more chillaxing for me with a glass of wine and a ciggy, other than on my own terrace! Must stock the fridge!
Spain has it right I reckon they can choose to be smoking or non, so long as the let the customers know- Restaurants in the main of course are non-smoking but bars predominantly allow smoking and in outdoor areas anything goes.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 13:57:29 PM »
Sorry Maria, no smoking near the Bird Sanctuary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf