Author Topic: 7 Notable Changes---Then to Now  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Sue T

7 Notable Changes---Then to Now
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
We stayed in Fethiye, first with my in laws in the house that is now the Mosaic Bahce restaurant and then we moved to Dolgu Sahisinda on the corner opposite the Kosem restaurant, only the roads were not made up then and there were fewer houses, many half built, awaiting for the opportunity to go up one more floor as 2 stories were the limit then.  Our water came from an artesian pump in the front garden, that my husband fixed to work from an electric pump when the tap was turned on, only being on the second floor I had to turn on all 3 taps in our flat and wait until the neighbour downstairs turned one of her taps on!  Didn't see a houe with a bath in the bathroom for 3 years, didn't think they existed in Fethiye!!!  But the nightly serenade from the frogs in the small canal/ditch that ran down what is now the road was memorable.  And you could see dolphins swimming in the bay from the dining room window. Do have a few snaps of the area at that time.
We went to the UK at the end of '81 for 3-4 years, only got stuck there for 20, returning every summer for our holiday, so did not keep such a close eye on the changes after that.  Been back since 2001 and there have been many changes since then as well!
In Dec '81 we flew from Istanbul after an 18 hour coach drive from Fethiye - with 2 kids - still remember that!

Offline Sue T

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
Forgot to say had many a memorable meal at Rafet's, his daughter married around the same time and was a friend.  It was one of the few places to eat out at the time and then you went to the 'pudding' shop accross the road for dessert!  Do you remember the one where there was a picture of a girl with an ice cream cone and drips of ice cream all down her tummy?

Offline emekliyim

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 20:55:32 PM »
Really enjoyed reading the posts in this topic

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 21:54:06 PM »
How about a History Forum? I reckon CBF will be here for many years to come and posts like the above plus some of the great old pictures we have seen posted over the years would be great as an assembled collection in 'our' museum.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 22:06:12 PM »
Before Scunner suggests it, I'll offer myself as an old relic ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf