Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 7788 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Mobile Phones
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
If I have a 'bundle' from Orange, I will be charged 28p txt, 49p to receive a call, and 91p per minute to make a call.

Would it be cheaper to buy a Turkish Sim and put it in an old mobile? If so which one and how much are they?

I am hopeless when it comes to phones, can anyone help please?

Many Thanks
Bernie

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 13:47:53 PM »
Mobiles need to be registered in Turkey or they will be blocked. You might just get 2 weeks out of a Turkish sim in an old mobile but you won't get much longer and won't be able to use it again in Tirkey unless you register it.

How about switching the roaming off so that you cannot get any nasty bills and buying yourself one of the international calling cards that many places sell now. Much chepaer I think.

Offline BernieTeyze

Mobile Phones
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 14:08:16 PM »
Sorry for being a bit thick, but if I bought an international card could I use it on my mobile for the same cost as a phone box without incurring extra charges?? and what is roaming?

Thanks so much
B

Offline dycedon

Mobile Phones
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 15:10:10 PM »
Have a look at go sim.com, you can get an international sim from there but you need an unlocked phone.

Offline BernieTeyze

Mobile Phones
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 17:23:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I will have a look.

Offline BernieTeyze

Mobile Phones
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
I had a look at sim.com and you can buy a sim that has an unlimited life,you keep the same number and top it up with call time each time you go away. The call rates and txts seemed really reasonable. I did get the information about calls from Turkey to England, do you think they would still lock the sim as it will be registered with sim.com?
The phonecard is starting to look like the easiest option, and just leave the hotel number in case of emergencies.
Thanks for all your help.
Bernie

Offline tony jenkins

Mobile Phones
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Hi Bernie, 'Roaming' is when your phone is enabled to receive or send information on the internet. You can switch this on or off.
My mate just returned fron Corfu after a weeks holiday and left 'roaming' enabled. £177 for one week. Ouch!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Phones
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
Bernie,

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think it's the phone they actually lock not the sim card.

We go over every year so we bought a phone which was registered at the time of purchase. We now have our property managment looking after it for us so that it remains 'active' for when we arrive. Total cost was about 100ytl with quite a bit of credit on it.

Offline philrose

Mobile Phones
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by slikmrs

I had a look at sim.com and you can buy a sim that has an unlimited life,you keep the same number and top it up with call time each time you go away. The call rates and txts seemed really reasonable. I did get the information about calls from Turkey to England, do you think they would still lock the sim as it will be registered with sim.com?

You should have no problem with a sim.com card and a UK phone in Turkey.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Phones
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
The other option, if you have a smartphone is to make sure you download Skype before you go away and access that when you can get free wireless (which is now widely available in Calis bars and restuarants).

You can then talk to anyone who also has Skype - for free or you can add money to your Skype account and get much cheaper call rates. For example we can phone our kids in Thailand for about 6.5p per minute if we ring their mobiles.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf