Author Topic: 11/11/11  (Read 2762 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
11/11/11
« on: November 11, 2011, 16:46:00 PM »
Nice to see English people and Turkish people standing side by side for the 2 mins silence at The Eyna today. I believe that this was also done at the Nil Bar. The hash harriers did a run along the seafront some in fancey dress but all with a specially printed Poppy T.Shirt.

Offline sunnyd

11/11/11
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 16:55:12 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 17:50:18 PM by sunnyd »

Offline marina

11/11/11
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 17:28:13 PM »
We happened to be in our local Tesco this morning at 11.00am and an announcement was made inviting all staff, customers and visitors to join them in a 2 minutes silence.  At 11 on the dot we did just that.  Sadly some people decided, for whatever their reasons, not to respect that.  In fact one young woman asked my husband to move out of the way as he was standing in front of something she wanted.

Is it really too much to ask people to give up 2 minutes of their time to remember all the people who have given so much and paid the ultimate sacrifice. :(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
11/11/11
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 17:39:43 PM »
I was in Morrison's this afternoon and after all the support for the Poppy and all the press about the English Football team wearing it on armbands.  I was disappointed to see how few people where wearing poppies.  Morrisons was packed yet I think I saw no more than 10 people wearing a poppy. :o  What a shame:(
Think it would have been nice to see some Poppies for sale at the tills in Morrisons :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 17:41:08 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline sunnyd

11/11/11
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 17:51:20 PM »
oh! well, considering the last couple of posts.... maybe not so recognised in the UK then :(

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
11/11/11
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 18:08:31 PM »
Lots of people wearing poppies over here.

Offline marina

11/11/11
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 18:16:15 PM »
I should add that the silence was observed by the majority of people in the store, but I just find it sad that it wasn't by everyone.

Watching the news at lunchtime it does appear that the majority of people all over the country stopped and observed the 2 minute silence which is good to see.  Maybe the events over the last few years in Iraq and Afghanistan have reminded people of the reality of wars and the sacrifices made.

Offline ladydiver

11/11/11
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 18:19:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mercury

Nice to see English people and Turkish people standing side by side for the 2 mins silence at The Eyna today. I believe that this was also done at the Nil Bar. The hash harriers did a run along the seafront some in fancey dress but all with a specially printed Poppy T.Shirt.

Thanks Mercury - Fethiye Hash House Harriers were out in Calis today, we were as you said. wearing special t'shirts with poppy design on them, the hares decided to wear ears and tails instead of hare shirts.  We did have 2 mins silence at 11.00 and started our run at 11 mins past 11.00 today.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 18:23:42 PM by ladydiver »

Offline turkeysue

11/11/11
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 19:41:44 PM »
i to was in morrisons at 11o/clock and in my local branch people NOT observing the 2 mins where defo NOT english...!!!!:-\[:(!]:(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
11/11/11
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 15:47:33 PM »
This lunchtime I had to take my daughter's dog to my local (a chore, I know, but he demands it). As I locked up the house I realized I had unintentionally put on a Turkish tee-shirt (Kapadokya Balloons) and a New Zealand unzipped fleece (with a silver fern on it). Also, of course, a red poppy. So this made me think of Gallipoli and what must have been the utter horror of fighting in those trenches. And I thought of Ataturk, the Turkish commander who led the victory against the ANZAC troops. And I thought of his ordering the building of a memorial at Anzac Cove at Gallipoli and inviting Australians,New Zealanders and other members of the "enemy" nations to visit it. He wrote this to go on the memorial:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives:
You are now living in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours:
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Ataturk, 1934.

I think this is wonderful. I can think of few generals/politicians, if any, who would have done this after war. It is one of many reasons that I am so impressed by Ataturk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf