Author Topic: Cappadocia  (Read 3962 times)

Offline pashka

• Sutton, Surrey, UK
Cappadocia
« on: January 07, 2012, 19:20:50 PM »
We would like to visit Cappadocia this year. Does anyone know whether any of the tour companies along the front go there, and if so, any recommendations?
Thanks.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Cappadocia
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 19:27:26 PM »
I think you'd be better off making your own way there and then joining a local tour or doing your own thing. There's plenty of info available on the www.

Offline Dutchie

Cappadocia
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 19:33:16 PM »
Definitely go on your own.
The tour companies will drag you to carpets, pottery, wine, jewellery, onyx and all other kind of sales activities.
You barely have time to really discover Cappadocia.

Offline johnboy1967

Cappadocia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 19:40:49 PM »
Have to agree with other people . Just take a coach from Fethiye, it takes about 12 hours but with regular stops and tea and cake given out on route.:D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 21:08:18 PM by johnboy1967 »

Offline FrankStanley

Cappadocia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 20:33:02 PM »
hello pashka, wife and I went last May using Pioneer Travel on Calis front.Deal included return bus fare, 2 nights in Cave Hotel, 2 sightseeing tours with guide and lunch included. It was fantastic !
Price was 370 pounds. Checked this out against bus/hotel/tours cost and it was 25 pounds more, but no hassle.
If you want to do it yourself, you can buy bus tickets from Otogar, which were 50 lira each one way, and journey time was 12 hours, travelling overnight and arriving 5am.I can recommend our hotel, which was The Legend Cave Hotel  in Goreme which you could look at on their website. The tour company was Rose Tours which you can book at the hotel or their office in Goreme (bus station).
All day tours were excellent and very informative, with no sales pitches. You could take a hot balloon ride (120 lira) if you wish.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and hope you enjoy yours  :)

Offline johnboy1967

Cappadocia
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 21:14:41 PM »
you can get a private on suite place in july for 20tl each per night.... oh and north tour was 55tl pp and south 70tl pp... :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 21:15:54 PM by johnboy1967 »

Offline Alan Keating

Cappadocia
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
We did this trip last year, it was planned to see the most in a "non-rush" way. We travelled by car around the coast from Calis, doing about 200 - 250 miles per day during daylight. We found good accomodation along the way, this was part of the "adventure". We got around to Mersin, a large city, turning due North to Cappadocia. I would suggest no less than three days there, you could do a week or more.
Our return was via Konya, staying further on at Isparta lake. As with any trip, you can vary it to suit, ours took a week.
A word to the wise, do ensure you fill up often, there were very few garages on the long run back.
A second piece of advice, do use the hotel loo before you start off; that "adventure" is a whole story in it's own right.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:02:27 PM by Alan Keating »

Offline pashka

• Sutton, Surrey, UK
Cappadocia
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 18:35:33 PM »
Thanks for all tips and advice. Think we will probably hire a car and make our own way there, but feel it may take a bit of planning, but we are up for the challenge!!

Pashka

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Cappadocia
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 19:06:56 PM »
Pashka
I wrote a little photo travelogue about Kapadokya on CBF a little while back. Might give you a few ideas and whet your appetite for this wonderful place.

{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}24850

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Cappadocia
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 19:09:12 PM »
And excellent it was.:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf