Author Topic: WARNING: "Estate Agent" scam  (Read 7100 times)

Offline quackers

Re: WARNING: "Estate Agent" scam
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
The turkısh frıend ın Post 1 ıs a legal bod. The seller went to  hım for advıce. He phoned the Agent and sorted the problem out.
At no tıme was the seller aware an agent was ınvolved so the agent is at fault for not approachıng the seller fırst. The buyer ıs also at fault for avoıding  payıng the agents 3% commıssıon fee by goıng dırect to the seller. The poor seller was pıggy ın the mıddle. I do not thınk ıt ıs a scam just a touch of stupıdıty by the agent.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
Yes ıt dıd happen. The 'Agent' backed off when threatened wıth court actıon by a legal bod. We thınk the turkısh purchaser had asked the 'Agent' to look for property for sale ın our area and she gave her thıs vıllas address to go and look at the area and vılla before makıng an approach to the owner. The agent does not work from an offıce ,she seems to just drive around  lookıng for propertıes for her 'clients'.The seller dıd not have any contact wıth the 'agent' and she was never ıntroduced to her or saw her. She thought thıs buyer has seen her For Sale sıgn and came on speck. So the fault lıes wıth the purchaser. We thınk the agent she knew the property had been sold that day via the purchaser who may have saıd I found my own property and purchased ıt today to avoıd payıng her 'agent' 3%. The Agent can easıly fınd out whıch property she had bought. The letter left was not on company headed paper just a hand wrıtten note wıth a telephone number but very threatenıng.

Honest Joe & Quackers
I can understand that you probably felt it was being helpful to others in posting the info about this scam  :)  What I don't understand is why 'the seller' hasn't reported this (very loose description) 'agent' to the Jardarme & the 'Emlaks Assc'?, or has she?  It's all very well advising others to report it but first they will have to experience the same as this seller! :(  And, perhaps most importantly; why have you not named this quasi agent?  Prevention is always better than cure, as they say..............

I think that the Tax Office would also be very interested in the activities of this 'agent'!

Offline quackers

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 13:56:19 PM »
I did not say it is was a scam as I do not think it was. I think it was a bit of 'stupid Agent and a clever buyer' and the seller got caught up in the middle. I will try and find out the name of the agent for you if you want. Seller now moved on to pastures greener.

Offline Honest Joe

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
Sorry for not replying earlier to any of the postings since I made the original posting - I just hadn't followed it up, as I was just advising people to be aware of the scam - and that's what it was, as the "agent" has no such formal accreditation!

I think Quackers has in the meantime elaborated on the situation well enough, but to reply to Jim Fraser's question I think naming the bogus agent is irrelevant as they will easily be using a different name if they hit again. the simple message is - "BE ON YOU GUARD"!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 23:41:42 PM »
I think it was a bit of 'stupid Agent and a clever buyer' and the seller got caught up in the middle.

I would agree. Customers should never be given property details and directions and sent off alone. In fact, if I had my way, many of them should be electronically tagged on arrival at Dalaman.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf