Author Topic: RE high priced thompson exclusive hotels in calis will put clients off calis  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
We stayed at the Mutlu this year May 1st - 8th so I decided to compare what I paid with what I will have to pay Thomson for the same room, same B&B, same dates exactly.

This Year ( Sunshine.co.uk, hotel only, B&B )

£175.44

Next Year (Thomson, hotel only, B&B)

£295.00

Some jump that

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Oh, and there were only around 4 rooms occupied in the whole hotel for the first few days.

Offline Ray1951

This when these tour operators could 'cash in' IF they were wise. Nothing cheers you up more than a break in the sun when you've had a tough time but the name of the game with most tour operators and flight companies is GREED, but that will be their downfall.  If they were to make flights and holidays affordable then they could ensure a full quota for the 180 days of the summer season.  Instead they will have a lesser number of people who can afford the inflated prices but I bet they will have empty seats on their flights and empty rooms as well and I mean this to cover all holiday destinations not just Turkey.

Offline johntaylor49

Well everywhere was cheap ----once! It is the price we pay as the World advances, yesterdays cheap undeveloped destination is tomorrows high-rise package tour paradise  :)  I remember when Cala Galadana in Menorca was a charming little cove, when Paphos, Cyrprus was a sleepy little town, when people talked about this great new destinantion called Bodrum!  If Calis becomes over touristy or over priced -- move on! One of the many reasons I never considered buying property abroad, places chamge, laws change, governments change, renting I have always been able to walk away  8) Friends all told me how much I was missing out -- they told me in Beirut, in Kyrenia, in Jugoslavia   ;)

Perhaps still the best way is get the cheapest flight and just go somewhere else in Calis and see. There are lots of nice places, I stayed at the Rebin Beach for years, comfortabloe, clean, good food, went to the Mutlu last year, lovely by the beach, but worth the difference then? No, and worth it now, not in a million years!  I may be back next Autumn, but wont be staying at any Thomson place!
Meldrew

Offline johntaylor49

Manchester Dalaman 2 persons 13th June to 30th june Easyjet £552 (£276 each inc seats, luggage)
Rebin Beach Hotel Half Board 17 nights £546 (£273 PP)
Holiday cost per person for 17 night £549!

So, still reasonable if you dont have to go to an overpriced Hotel   :)

Offline Marggie

We flew from Manchester to Dalaman on 1st October for £33 and the plane had ]55 empty seats, the reason being return flights were at least £300 each so people wouldn't pay the price. Can you imagine £33 but that is no good if the return flight is going to cost a stupid amount.  We returned with Turksih Airlines for £117 each, okay we had to travel via Istanbul but that really was no hardship - the price included luggage, in flight meals and in flight drinks.

Offline johntaylor49

Yes these "one way" flights to anywhere are a bit pointless really. They are all offering "xxxx from £2x one way, but, as you rightly point out that is what they are --- one way! Try and come back and all the prices are high. It is a totally misleading marketing statement that should not be legal. Imagine if you advertised "Skyfall Tickets any evening -- half the Movie £5" or " even better "trip round half the bay as far as the Bouy in the Middle" I can see it now "10 Island Tour -- 20Ytl ---one way!  :)

I have tended to completely boycott any organisation offering "one way", I so remeber the famous Aer Lingus one, think it was £49 return to Dublin ---- they had two seats -- in total --- just to make it legal  :)

Oh dear I can see this ending up in the Grumpy old men section  8)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Sorry JT I have to disagree. We have enjoyed a lot of flexibility from 1 way flights and have been able to keep costs reasonable in a lot of cases.
Return flights used to be 7 or 14 days now we have much more flexibility that allows us to come and go at far more convenient times. I can now fit in extra days at the start or end to extend my holiday which I couldn't do before.
Airlines do not make a secret of their flights being one way so we should not feel duped by them and use it to our advantage wherever possible.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
One way flights used to be brilliant when the one way was UK to Dalaman and you lived in Turkey. I remember booking a First Choice flight back from Glasgow for around £48 - when we boarded I was one of 9 passengers on the entire flight!

The reason was that there were no First Choice/Thomsons holidays starting as the season was ending, but a plane was still needed to bring the last holidaymakers home. So, plenty of legroom on the outward journey  :)

Offline turkeysue

£1605....i know the oykun is a super friendly hotel and we have had many a holiday there BUT it doesnt justify that sort of spend...for that amount of money i would expect a lot more than the scrummy breakfast...will be interesting to see what people say on trip advisor etc next year...im sure the calis lovers amongst us will search out the bargins/value for money them-selves....  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf