Author Topic: Cheques  (Read 3338 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Re: Cheques
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 19:18:19 PM »
I still send cheques from Turkey to my kids in England.
I am a bit bemused anne, I assume you mean by sending them you mean you post them, from my experience and listening to other people it can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months to arrive if ever. and even if you have friends who were going back to the UK to post them for you, is it still 5 working days before the bank clears them. I myself if I am not going back for xmas send money for my daughter and grandchildren, I just pay it online into my daughters account and its in there the same day. this I believe is the reason cheques wont be around much longer it is so much easier now to transfer money around.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 19:48:57 PM »
It may be easy to transfer money for some of us, but if my son asks an elderly customer to pay money straight into his account they are horrified and do not want to even try it.  They always prefer to give him a cheque.

Offline Lotty

Cheques
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 20:14:27 PM »
I agree Jacqui, old people are often intimidated by current technology and feel safe paying everything by cheque. My mother in law is mid eighties and is totally computer literate now, however, she is quite unusual. When she first started banking on line she made the mistake of the extra nought on a transfer payment. Just as well her daughter noticed! This is why it will be a shame for cheques to become obsolete.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 22:03:16 PM »
I have found that post usually takes 5 days to get to England..Its usually just too my grown up son that I post a cheque.. He is never in a rush for it to clear.... If I am buying presents for My grandchildren I buy presents online and have them delivered...but I have also posted to My Mum and daughter before now but not always..

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 22:18:58 PM »
I've written out five cheques this week from my Cyprus Euro account, made out to the Conservative Party; The Liberal Democrats; Manchester United Supporters Club; The Catholic Church New Pope Fund and Finsbury Park Mosque.  Did I miss anyone? : :) : :) Oh yes the Bankers Benevolent Fund got a cheque as well made out to Cash.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf