Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2859 times)

Offline whitworthlass

• Newly Registered
A few questions
« on: August 20, 2013, 14:28:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

We are off to Calis on the 2 Sept (cannot wait) been 4 years since we where last in Turkey - where we stopped in Kalkan.

Normally just the two of us - but daughters and boyfriends have decided to hijack this trip with us - so really looking forward to it

we are stopping in a villa - so I have a few questions

Is there a butchers in Calis - or can you recommend the best supermarket for meat etc. for the bar-b-cues!   
Also I read that you can purchase a loyalty card in a certain supermarket, i read on forum but I cannot find the thread now - but it down to old age.

Also can you take food into Turkey only bacon - its the only food we take on holiday

thanks for help in advance.  Julie

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 14:37:19 PM »
There isn't a butchers in Calis, but there are various chicken shops around. For other meat, try Gunlukbasi or Migros / Tansas / Kipa

The loyalty card is fro Migros / Tansas & costs 1tl, but gives you all the offer prices.

Think that most people bring some meat in, though technically, it's not allowed

Offline tonysue

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 14:44:19 PM »
There is an excellent butchers on Baris manco Bulvari by the ay- di and uckun mini markets, so it really depends on where you are staying in calis, It is near our villa so we dont go anywhere else for our meat. we also take vacuum packed bacon in our suit cases  shhhhh!

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 15:45:04 PM »
We always find Genpa (just down from the waterpark) more than ticks all the boxes ref meats. I take bacon with me as well as things like cheese, tea etc.

I cannot answer regarding loyalty programmes so I'll leave it to the learned ones on here for that.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 15:58:53 PM »
Take your pick of supermarkets in Calis, so many now from Kipa (which belongs to Tesco)  to Migros and Tansas ask for a card in either shop they belong to the same company and card can be used in both.  Cards are 1lira and give you money off the club discounts of that week, hand the card in when you go to the checkout. Also Genpa and Bim Supermarkets, Bim is cheap and like Lidl's no alcohol though. Also you cannot buy alcohol between 10pm and 6am in the shops..
There is a Pork Shop in Calis and one in Fethiye they sell Danish Bacon and it's extremley good we always buy it, no need to take a chance and bring it in your suitcase.  http://www.porkshopfethiye.com/
They also sell lots of British things such as baked beans, sauces, cornflakes etc.,   There are butchery departments in all the supermarkets and chicken shop in Calis.  Also the market on Sunday is good for fruit, veg, yoghurt, cheese, chicken (we usually buy chicken at the market) eggs, get there early for the double yoker eggs.
We like to go into Fethiye to the big Migros or the big Kipa for a better selection, but if you don't have transport, the Supermarkets in Calis will have everything you need.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 16:16:50 PM »
Just looking at that link Jacqui, is the price for the Back Bacon per kilo, or is it Ytl 29 for those measly 7 slices in the picture ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 17:36:15 PM »
It's per kilos. When we where over in May/June it was between 27 and 29TL per kilo.  It's lovely Danish Bacon and tastes just as good as anything we get in the U.K.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 17:51:14 PM »
Ah well, in that case, I'll still carry on bringing my half a dozen 2 kilo packs of Danish @ £6.59 per pack !! Plus my mature Cheddar x2 @ £5.29 per kilo, plus my Scottish Black Pudding x2, MMMMMM, @ £1.59 per Kilo.  minimum of 4 weeks stay !! Bummer, I feel an instant "fry-up" coming on !!  :P :P  ;)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 18:35:38 PM »
Any room left for a change of clothes Gordon?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 19:58:13 PM »
Sorry Gordon, but I prefer a few dresses and some shoes, to food I can buy in the area  plus as a model citizen of Scotland I do not want to break the law in Turkey... I seem to remember some lovely pictures of you in a dress too!!! :D :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf