Author Topic: Free School Meals  (Read 6682 times)

Offline SuzzPuss

Re: Free School Meals
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 21:54:43 PM »
Is it cos I is black?   8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 21:56:51 PM »
Yes

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 22:01:49 PM »
 ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 22:07:15 PM »
No, you is a Wansta ! You wanna be black bro' !

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
Children, children come on now! (talking of School) The itinerant musician has a point  :) (hmm itinerant -- peripatetic sounds better doesn't it??  :) )

EEEeee, when I were a lad we got free milk and reet good free dinners at School and me Mam and Dad could never have afforded the prices today! (I vaguely remember Orange Juice in the mix somewhere?) There was the situation in past years where "Mam" was a homemaker and rarely worked so kids close to school could go home for lunch, that has gone sadly. This is a more complex issue than it seems, our Society changed radically in the 1960's away from one of the majority receiving relatively low wages but enjoying a lot of state subsidies to assist them, toward one of reasonable salaries and paying your own way, ending up today with a scrambling dog eat dog uncaring tread on anyone and lie about everything one, better isn't it????? Isnt it????

We are approaching a tipping pointy of reversion where the few live incredibly well and those on reasonable standards find themselves moving inexorably toward a poverty line, we have embraced "the American Way" where you can lie, steal, rape and probably murder if you are wealthy------------- just don't get caught being poor!

I agree that "the wealthy" do not need such subsidies, and they wont send their kids to state schools anyway, but for £144 a month I would expect to be able to feed a child quite a wonderful School Lunch if such things as buying and menu standards were properly carried out. Now for 2 children, £144 a month from the average family budget is a LOT of money! I can understand that people would be reluctant to spend that unless they knew that a) it was nutritious and enough of it and b) they would eat it! (got to look and smell nice too!).

The thing is this is another case of dumbing down and artificial standard creation. There could only be a few reasons that this would be awarded to all children during their first years:-

There is general concern at the health of small children -- doubt that is it
Nobody must be known to being assisted -- kids don't care about things like that! Adults cause those prejudices not children -- we had loads of kids at School who would shout out "free dinners miss" when the money was collected.
A cheap shot at vote winning -- the most likely!

I would rather see us spending some tax cash on going back to free milk for Children at least to age 14 regardless of income, free school meals for parents below a certain income level, (cash collection via direct debit or monthly bill for others -- then any kids who do get them free wouldn't be known?) but above all a national change in management. It can be done, look at the Military and NAAFI who purchase just about all the food served in Military Mess everywhere. Intelligent buying and proper menu can produce a good cooked lunch for children at a lot less than it is costing now, but it needs real commitment for at least a 5 year period!

Its not funny being poor, believe me, and those free meals need to be for as long as that family need them, not just 2 years which will be the next "trick" once they have won a few cheap votes.

It really is true that the last man to enter the Houses of Parliament with honest intentions was probably one
Guido Ffaulkes -- better know to you all as Guy Fawkwes!

I don't like our Society at all, and I like the lying conniving pocket lining b*****ds who call themselves Politicians the least of all!

Up the Revolution Brothers and Sisters!

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant innit?

John, great answer.  You've voiced all the thoughts that were going through my mind last night.  I imagine the cost of staffing and cooking the dinners must be included in that £144 a month or the food would have to be amazing to justify it!  And your 2 children in one family point is a good one too but could easily be addressed.  I was brought up in a family which would have qualified for free school meals so I do understand what an amazing help that all is but I just feel it's been mishandled here.  Your 'cheap shot at vote winning' thought probably has hit the nail on the head and the idea that they might drop the whole thing in a couple of years is sickening.   :(

It's so sad about politicians.  They have the opportunity to make a real difference but...

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
At my grandchildren's school there is a breakfast club which was started for the children on low incomes. There used to be about 30 children using the facility. It was opened up to everyone about 6 months ago and now half the school are using it..

Offline angela

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
I just wish that poor little chap who was killed by the scum he had the misfortune to live with had free school dinners. It really breaks my heart to think of him searching through bins. I don't know how those that failed him can sleep at night. (apologies for going off topic slightly!)

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
It's not entirely off-topic Angela.  Actually it's a good point.  Mmm...  If giving free school dinners to everyone stops one little kid having to do that then maybe it's worth it after all.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
It's a fairly poor civilisation where we don't provide hard up people with things because it means wealthy people might get them too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf