Author Topic: Why Turkey: Pros and cons  (Read 9255 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why Turkey: Pros and cons
« on: October 09, 2013, 22:38:02 PM »
I am interested in the major reasons that members have for wishing to move to Turkey, and Mugla in particular, as opposed to any other part of the world.

Offline Menthol

Re: Why Turkey: Pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:53 AM »
It just felt like I'd come home when I first visited Fethiye. It's the only way I can explain it.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »
Funnily enough we've been calling it home for about 5 years !!!!
Previously holidayed in Cyprus (south), Corfu, Kos, Bodrum, Majorca, Benidorm but
none of them had the same 'magnetism' apart from Paphos where we initially started
our investigations on retirement - but then they joined the Euro  :(
Finances are obviously a big consideration in allowing an earlier retirement and
Turkey is still very cheap (long may it stay that way   ;) )
Fethiye just 'has it all' as far as we are concerned.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
Lisa is very strict on only going somewhere once, we had been in Turkey a few hours when she informed me that we could come back, and it has grown from there. I feel more at home there than anywhere else in the world, including England. The weather, the people, stunning views, the food, the history, the banks! All if it seems to good to be true. There may be better places to end up but I think we will settle on the bit of paradise we call Fethiye

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
Major reasons -
Pros
Non Euro zone (saw that as a plus point years ago)
Good interest rates (OK lower now but still comparatively high)
More for your cash when buying property (for the ''lucky''ones)
Cons
Expensive flights for friends visiting

loads of other pros and cons but most are fairly obvious but very individual.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 13:14:32 PM »
I am one of the "wanted to move to Turkey" permanently around six years ago hubby did not and six years on I am so glad we did not make the move for various reasons....The last seven years have been a huge learning curve re all things Turkey and whilst I would like to spend longer periods out there for me there is nothing like our green and pleasant land to come home to...
One of my reasons is I am just not comfortable with having to travel so far for possible heart and other health treatments it was a big shock for us to find out last year that the local hospitals do not offer these treatments so that alone is a huge con for me...  :( Good luck to all members/folk though who are thinking of doing it or who have done it...    :)Enjoy...

Offline loiner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 18:11:36 PM »
Been here 5 years I personally cannot afford to live in Britain  interest rate low compared to here.Electric charges lower gas bottles very cheap and council tax 60 tl per year no I cannot understand why I dont want to go back to the UK

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 18:35:19 PM »
It just felt like I'd come home when I first visited Fethiye. It's the only way I can explain it.

Menthol. Are you sure you're not my long-lost twin? That's exactly what I'd say.  :o

I was born and have lived in the UK all my life, but my blood is a real Heinz 57 mix - I'm half-Italian and have Polish, Brazilian, French and Lord knows what other genes sloshing round. I've never felt like I belong in England - never felt rooted anywhere, even though I've been in my current town for 23 years.

Mr WB was an army brat and moved around constantly in his early years. For both of us, 'home' is wherever we're together....but we both feel Fethiye is where we're meant to settle.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 18:43:06 PM »
Yes! Of course I'm your long lost twin! Hello, Sis! I gain a sister and knock 11 years off my age all in one fell swoop!

;D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 18:44:55 PM »
Yes! Of course I'm your long lost twin! Hello, Sis! I gain a sister and knock 11 years off my age all in one fell swoop!

;D

Dammit. No high-five icon.
Use your imagination please.  ;D :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf