Author Topic: Brown and Purple 5 tl notes  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Brown and Purple 5 tl notes
« on: December 05, 2013, 18:13:07 PM »
During I think it was this season I noticed some times when I was given change that some of the 5tl notes were purple and looked new and some were the old brown notes, does anyone know please if the brown notes are being phased out and replaced by the purple, if so is there a date in which the brown ones would need to be spent, a bit like the coins of a few years back...thanks for any replies  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Brown and Purple 5 tl notes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 18:25:31 PM »
Yes. The purple notes have been introduced recently to avoid the confusion between the brown 5TL and the very similar coloured 50TL notes.

Apparently, there have been a number of reports in the past of people handing over 50TL notes and being told that they had only handed over a 5TL note and therefore being short changed.

I think, as has been the case with currency changes in the past, the old notes will be gradually withdrawn over a year and then will cease to be legal tender. You'll still be able to change them at branches of Ziraat Bankasi for a further 10 years after that.

This reply has been brought to you by the Sensible Dept. at KKOB Inc.

;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: Brown and Purple 5 tl notes
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 19:18:25 PM »
Ah that is interesting knowing the reason behind the change thanks very much KKOB   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf