Author Topic: Aladins cave  (Read 7338 times)

Offline suehugh

Aladins cave
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »
We spent most of last week hunting for furniture and were directed to Yola Furniture on the industrial estate near Carrefor supermarket.
They have a veritable treasure trove of old, vintage, antique and even older bits and bobs. We bought a table and 5 chairs and have orderd two more chairs to be refurb end. They also produce hand made furniture to traditional and modern designs.
They have a three quarter tonne wooden olive press outside , but Sue would not let me buy , as we only have one olive tree.
They have a small shop in Uzumlu on the entrance road just before you hit the square. Worth a visit as it gives a hint of the type of goods they have.

Offline Menthol

Re: Aladins cave
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
Oooh, oooh, oooh. My kind of place!

Thank you for letting us know.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
My sort of place  I have always looked for a place with vintage and antique furniture and smaller items in the Fethiye area, never had any luck and Turkish friends told me that such shops don't exist, so I am excited to hear about this place and will definitely be visiting it.
However "antiques  and even older bits and bobs" may be a bit ambitious as "antique" does mean over 100 years old,  ;) in the U.K. anyway, it may be different in Turkey, but cannot wait to get to this shop. ;D

Offline suehugh

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 16:09:15 PM »
The shop in the village has a small selection of items ,but wort a visit.
The units in Fethiye do have a magnificent selection.
Wooden chests , carved doors, distressed doors, some rescued carved ceiling panels which would make a wonderful bed, cartwheels, solid wooden wheels, great urns, stools, old turkish balcony furniture. Old wooden ploughs,
We also bought a wooden carved chest there. Supposedly from Uzbekistan.
Our intention is to return I the summer to choose a painted, carved door for the bathroom.
And maybe we will buy enough olive trees to justify buying the olive press.   

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 16:53:36 PM »
Just to be the miserable old git in a topic of treasure - buy these things for your Turkey homes but remember attempting to remove anything vaguely "antique" from Turkey is a serious crime and there is no known defense that I know of. "I didn't know" doesn't work either.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 16:56:37 PM »
Oh my, I can't wait to visit it. Carved chests ... urns .....

Will have to be without TA though, he is a heathen when it comes to such things. As far as he is concerned 'antique' or 'second hand' means 'someone chucked it out cos it was too old or they didn't want it and neither do I'.

I sneak my 'used' finds in when he's not looking.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 16:57:35 PM »
Message received, Scunner. I would keep it/them here.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
I think "vaguely" antique is the word scunner. The only provenance attached to some of these items is the look of them.
But, point taken about exporting them.
Thanks.
Luckily, we only have a small house, so we can't buy much more.
Oh , sue just asked why not.   

Offline suehugh

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
Oh my, I can't wait to visit it. Carved chests ... urns .....

Will have to be without TA though, he is a heathen when it comes to such things. As far as he is concerned 'antique' or 'second hand' means 'someone chucked it out cos it was too old or they didn't want it and neither do I'

I sneak my 'used' finds in when he's not looking.

Sue is normally the heathen in this case, but because we have gone for a traditional property, she has begun to embrace old things. Even me

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
The further east you travel in Turkey, the cheaper "antiques" become. There are traders in the west of Turkey who travel to the east every winter and buy truckloads of "antiques" to sell in the shops along the Mediterranean Coast and Istanbul. That olive press mentioned above was probably bought for a fraction of the price that it's being offered at now.

Cem at Anatolian Antiques in Paspatur, Ovacik and Hisaronu has had some fine examples of furniture and rugs, farm equipment, clothes and jewellery in his shops over the years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf