Author Topic: Ongoing Dispute with Orange/EE Over Roaming  (Read 3547 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Ongoing Dispute with Orange/EE Over Roaming
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
OK, apologies in advance for what will probably be a long post....but has anybody got experience with fighting roaming charges, especially with Orange/EE?

When I was out in March - from 4th to April 1st - I bought two Data Roaming bundles for £75 each, the second purchased when the first expired. (You get 150MB or a month, whichever comes first; I had to use my phone for work purposes, hence buying the bundles.)

I tracked the usage via Orange's own Roaming Angel app. So I was quite surprised to get a text message around mid-March saying my phone had been blocked as I was exceeding usage limits; even more when I called them and was told my bill was around £2k!

I spoke to a lovely lady - eventually - and when I sent her a screenshot of the app that showed no standard data roaming charges she agreed there was an issue and that the photo clearly showed I wasn't due to pay that amount.

Unfortunately, nothing could be done until my next bill calculation date of April 15, but she said she would unblock my phone and I should carry on using it and monitoring via the app, and she'd make a note in her diary to call me on April 15 to sort it out.
(Phone was again blocked just before I travelled home; sorted it out when I got back, she said it was an automatic thing and unblocked it again.)

No contact on April 15th so when my bill arrived on the 17th - for nearly £2.2k - I called and they said they'd do a recalculation. (No contact now with the original lady.)

Got a voicemail this morning from a very cheery-sounding Geordie saying they'd done the recalculation and it's correct. Er - no, it isn't.

I cancelled my direct debit last week so at least they can't just take the money, but I'm quite stressed about it all. If I'd been using standard roaming then yes, the bill would be correct - but the screenshots from the app clearly state that no standard charges apply.

I called them back and they are '"looking at it" but obviously I will be fighting this as long as I need to. If anyone else has had a similar situation I'd be glad to hear how you handled it or what happened.

TIA. And sorry for the length of this post!

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Ongoing Dispute with Orange/EE Over Roaming
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
Not for so much, but £186, I gave up in the end, told em I was leaving. Snotty young lad said ok then. 2 hours later chirpy newcastle lad phoned and sorted it. I ended up with free mins free txts n free internet for 20 a month.. still got it now, 3 years later.
It really is so frustrating, my thoughts are with you, for a happy conclusion x

Offline WordBird

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 13:35:54 PM »
It's the "computer says no" mentality that gets me. Nobody human seems to be able to look at the problem and see what needs doing.

Currently at a standstill after talking to Customer Services this morning so Mr WB took to Twitter to rant. They responded quickly and asked what the problem was; after explaining it they said we'd need to talk to Customer Services....... AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!  >:(

Mr WB is currently freelancing three days a week for a large regional daily paper and the news editor has already expressed interest in picking this up. I also intend writing a blog about it tomorrow if it's not resolved and asking people to read and share.

I will not give in and pay them a very large sum of money that I don't owe them in the first place.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 20:06:54 PM »
Good for you, Bex.

And do not forget THEY caused you all this unnecessary stress. Through their incompetence. You did NOTHING wrong.

That means they should compensate you. I know I keep going on about this but it totally hacks me off when mega-companies sell you products and THEY DONT WORK! And then they treat you not only as an imbecile but with no respect whatsoever as a long standing customer.

You've tried to sort this fairly but the stress continues, so use your contacts to kick their ass.

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 19:51:00 PM »
I GOT A EMAIL FROM O2 SAYING !!O2 announces new mobile roaming tariffs for European travelers, £1.99 a day for 25MB of data, so i calls them ask them if Turkey is in the plan ? oh yes i am told so i puts the 3 teenage kids and mine & Mrs  on the bolt on deal and off we go the following day to Turkey
First day text comes through to the 3 kids you have used your £40 daily  allowance for today you will have to wait until midnight or buy more data.
Next day i looks on 02 site and cant see Turkey listed so tells the kids no more using until we get to the bars to use the Wifi i have a day of them sulking as they cant live with out twitter face book Etc apparently then at night back at the Villa the buggers was switching it back on in there bedrooms ...i come back to uk to £600 bill call 02 told that i should have read the term and conditions and that i was mistaken that they would NOT have said Turkey was in there plan i refuse to pay !!! next month all the phones are blocked so i have to pay as i hated the kids going out without a phone !
suppose a positive if i never got the text saying limit reached id have had the kids using the phones day & night  and 6k bill i am sure  :'(

Offline WordBird

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 20:18:05 PM »
They just do and say what they like, and us "little people" fighting the big corporate giants stand little chance.

My credit rating in the UK will be wrecked, I'm sure - so it's a good job I'm leaving. I do wonder if they'll chase me out there....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf