Author Topic: Is it time to sell up?  (Read 15156 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 22:11:41 PM »
Its only my (sometimes extremely) uninformed opinion.  We made a conscious decision a few years ago NOT to live here full time - for a variety of reasons - so full time residents may have a different perspective on some of the points i made.  It'd be interesting to hear them.

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 22:13:54 PM »
7,000 school principals getting fired is not things changing quickly?  :-[

Offline Dutchie

Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 22:18:25 PM »

No, not a quick change. Just part of a process that has been going on for several years. The next step after the closing of the so called dershanes.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 22:20:49 PM »
Not to mention all the policemen, judges, etc who have been replaced.

Fetullahs people out, RTE's people in.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 22:39:49 PM »

No, not when taken in context of this being Turkey and how its related to events over the past year or so.

JF

Offline angela

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
We are just heading on our way to Turkey, having made the decision to take early retirement, and I'm sure having only holiday'ed we are wearing our rose tinted goggles to some extent, I am still looking forward to our adventure, and I just want to live near the sea, which has been a lifelong ambition, which I would never achieve in the UK, and when you look at the majority of english seaside resorts I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole.
The UK these days is not the place I grew up in and I worry about the future our subsequent generations will have to struggle with, and struggle they will.
So,  we will still roll with it and (hopefully) embrace and enjoy!

Offline Jack13

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
good post angela. agree with all ur reasons. been here now 6 years and as john f has pointed out its either stick. twist or fold.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
I'm interested in the views of those with a holiday home more than those living there full time.
When we bought nine years ago the dream was to eventually sell our apartment and buy a villa and retire to Calis.  This dream has long gone although we still love our place and planned to keep it for many more years and enjoy our holidays there.  Recent changes have me, more so than Billy jittery about the whole owning thing.  I don't want to, can't afford to lose the money invested in it. 
I'm curious as to what your views are now a few years down the line.  Will you ride the storm or sell up?

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
Interesting posts, I still would like to spend more time in Calis when I retire soon, either almost all year ideally but only rentals.

I have been tempted many times to buy a property in Turkey, Cyprus, India  but have not done so due to the potential instability, at least
if you rent you can leave without risking losing a lot of money.

I am looking at Turkey now and seeing a disturbing trend, a slow Dictatorship and religiously intolerant state!

JY

Offline apollo

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
We are not planning to sell but as a disinterested party , how do you arrive at a selling price and in which currency? Sterling or Lira?

If you bought when the exchange rate was 2.5  Lira to the Pound and it is now around 3.6 Lira to the pound. Can you use this new exchange rate and potentially dissuade many buyers?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf