Author Topic: Is Communal Pool Covered under DASK  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Is Communal Pool Covered under DASK
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
One of our neighbours was told your communal pool is not covered at all under DASK - which makes sense to me - and another was told each owner owns a portion of the pool and it is covered on their individual Household Insurance cover - which might work?

However, we have now heard that you should take out a separate policy to cover the pool?

I have never heard of anyone doing this or incidentally taking out Public Liability Insurance for a Communal Site as I was told it was just toooooo expensive.

Anyone know the answer to either of these points?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is Communal Pool Covered under DASK
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »
I think the DASK system is to help people who may be made homeless by an earthquake, not to get you expats their pool up and running again!!

By the way Ian, change your brand of fake tan, you're looking a little gold!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
I think in the event of an earthquake the owners wont have a pool, they will have a rubble container.!      ;D

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 14:30:16 PM »
As far as I know DASK is to remove the rubble and rebuild the "shell" - many think this is sufficient but you need sufficient and separate household cover policy to finish off properties with fixtures and fittings inc window frames, floor and wall coverings, kitchens, bathrooms, electrics, plumbing, painting etc.

We are currently checking everyone has given the Chair a copy of each of these 2 policies which is how the question arose re swimming pool which I take your point is a moot point in the event of an earthquake.

The Public Liability question is more interesting. We have a few owners who rent out. We are told that if a holiday maker or a tradesman is injured on our site even if it clearly through the neglect of one owner - the victim could take an action against all owners on a communal site as they are all jointly and severally liable?

Is it better to be over insured or under insured - who knows!

The tan - it has been a long hard few weeks - went on a 7 day cruise from Marmaris 2 weeks ago and the temperature here in Calis even reached 94 degrees on our roof terrace today - so I am bound to look like a Greek God :-)

Offline iankirk

• Mossley, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 19:41:33 PM »
Ian, have you contacted Intasure regarding building & Contents insurance? They offered to cover our pool if the majority of owners took out insurance with them. If you have owners living there permanently, I believe they cannot take up insurance with a company not based in Turkey which is where the majority part comes in.
You will need endorsement HH912 adding to each policy
HH912
COMMUNAL AREAS
The Policy is extended in respect of the insured's proportion to include all commercial areas, common parts and community Swimming pools attached to the block of apartments or properties to which the Complex allows legitimate access. Any commercial premises/activities that are included under the H912 endorsement are protected under the Property Owner’s Liability. Public and employer’s liability for the commercial activities is expressly excluded.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 20:31:18 PM »
As far as I know DASK is to remove the rubble and rebuild the "shell" - many think this is sufficient but you need sufficient and separate household cover policy to finish off properties with fixtures and fittings inc window frames, floor and wall coverings, kitchens, bathrooms, electrics, plumbing, painting etc.

I agree with Ian's post , above . I wonder just how many ex-pats are under the false illusion that their Dask policy will cover the cost of bringing their property back to what it was before earthquake damage, but moreover, have any of the agencies selling Dask, explained just how little it does cover ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 20:45:07 PM »
As far as I know DASK is to remove the rubble and rebuild the "shell"

In many cases the amount paid out under the policy wont stretch to much rebuilding.

Go to the DASK web site and get a quote, you'll see then the maximum payable under the policy - and bear in mind, that figure is the maximum, not necessarily what you would receive in the event of serious damage.

You need to top up the DASK by way of a separate policy.

JF

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 20:50:46 PM »
Agree totally and how many communal sites check that all owners have sufficient cover and do you even know if an earthquake instigated crack on a load bearing wall is covered?

Offline quackers

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
Look on your Dask Polıcy that tells you the ammount you wıll get should an earthquake flatten your property.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »
Look on your Dask Polıcy that tells you the ammount you wıll get should an earthquake flatten your property.

and deduct the amount from your top up insurance as the company will in the event of a claim. Indeed I understand that they will deduct this amount even if you have not taken out DASK.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf