Author Topic: Problem with Turkcell PAYG Mobile Phone  (Read 2851 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Problem with Turkcell PAYG Mobile Phone
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
I have a uk Samsung phone that I took to Turkey on the advice of a Turkish friend. It was unlocked in the uk and I took it into the local Turkcell shop and asked the guy if he could unlock it so that it would accept a Turkish sim card. This he did and I purchased a turkcell sim card. I put 20tl credit on it and away I went. The phone has been working no problem for 8 months now and has not been blocked as some peoples phones have. I only have one problem, which is that because I don't live in Turkey and only come out for holidays, I leave the phone in our apartment. On returning after a period of say 8 weeks, I find that if I top up the sim with another 20 TL, this doesn't register and I have to put another 20TL on to get it to register on my phone. I asked the Turkcell guy if this is normal and he seemed to say that if you don't use the phone regularly it will go into debt. Does anyone know if this is correct?  :(

Offline Jim Fraser

Re: Problem with Turkcell PAYG Mobile Phone
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 16:28:17 PM »
Our original Turkish PAYG had a similar way of operating - if left for more than 60 days without being used or topped up you then had to do another top up and it would be reactivated, but the previous amount of credit was still there and could be used.
Friends who bought a SiM card last year have near the same as above - but they have a 6 month period before the phone is deactivated.
So may depend on the original package that was purchased with the SiM.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: Problem with Turkcell PAYG Mobile Phone
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 16:54:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jim, the language barrier makes it difficult to know what type of sim package you've actually bought. Anyway I have given it to my neighbour to use in Turkey whilst we are back in Uk, so hopefully it won't happen again.  ;D ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf