Author Topic: 120 day rule on residency permits  (Read 17422 times)

Offline thekeyclan

Re: 120 day rule on residency permits
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 15:56:55 PM »
This is very disappointing and expensive news for my wife & I. We typically spend 18-20 weeks in Turkey. We have nearly 4 years left on our blue book, and we have flights booked for ourselves and family/friends for a period that this law will now prohibit us from using our residency permit for in October.
Does anyone know if your start date for a eVisa has to be your first day in Turkey? It may sound like a strange question, but even allowing for the fact that the 90/180 rule is a rolling requirement, if our start date for our eVisa was a few weeks before our next visit late in April, it would allow us to get another eVisa in early October and accommodate ours & family/friends October visit.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 16:35:25 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe you can start the e visa whenever you like and you can even start a second one before the first one has expired. However the real "test" that you must apply is this:

From when you start using your 90 / 180 tourist visa's - the golden rule is to count backwards 180 days on the day that you enter Turkey  and if the number of days you have spent in Turkey exceeds 90 you will not be allowed entry and when you leave Turkey they will count back 180 days and if you have spent more than 90 of those days in Turkey you will be fined.

Consequently it is the counting back more than planning visa's to start immediately after one another that is the most important point and often not understood.

This might help

http://www.bodrumbulletin.com/community/calculators/turkish-tourist-visa-calculator

Offline thekeyclan

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
Thank you Ian.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
Coincidentally this was posted elsewhere today which covers the same point by someone who e mailed the visa site:

Your question: If I have an existing E visa which runs out part way through a projected visit to Turkey can I get another E visa which covers the whole period but overlaps with the existing E visa and effectively supercedes the existing one or do I have to leave Turkey on the last day of the old E visa and return the next day on the new one; something which is not easy to do.

Dear Alan,

Your stay in Turkey can not be longer than your e-Visa permits. We advise you to renew your e-Visa before your arrival. The key rule is that you do not exceed 90 days of stay within the last 180 days as of today. Please note that it is your own responsibility to make sure that you do not violate the above mentioned 90/180 rule.

Best wishes, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey

This would suggest that getting overlapping E visas is not a problem

Offline col

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 14:34:56 PM »
These constant changes/uncertanies etc appear to happen year after year. It seems little wonder, compared to say 5-10 years ago, when on this forum there were never ending topic/posts of buying property and the best shop, place or whatever, for this, that, who to use and so on, as I/we can't wait to move there. I'm sure Keith has facts and figures about this, as there does appear to be less and less Brits and possibly others, not wanting to purchase property or move to Turkey. More so, the amount of people who have either sold up, going to sell up or simply just return on a tourist visa for holidays, myself included, as I returned to near full time to the uk last year. Unfortunate to say (no doubt!) with the exchange rate as it is, many losses will be/have been made on selling up, but very good for just a tourist. Will we now see fewer flights to Turkey this year and costing more, or lucky enough that so many seats on planes will not be sold and end up at a good price!
However, I don't think too many people will actually be advising and promoting Turkey to be the wonderful country it once was, to move/retire to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf