Author Topic: Does the prom need to up it's game?  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Does the prom need to up it's game?
« on: May 03, 2015, 20:32:02 PM »
Seeing the pics of the new hotel in Koca Calis and, with all the fabulous new places in the Fethyie Kordon, I think Calis prom hotels and restaurants really need to up the anti before they lose out big time.
Whilst like the majority of members here, I love Calis, warts and all I'd be heartbroken to see too many more Sunsets and Sensetori type places taking over the beach and leaving us the poor neighbours.
Interested in others views on this

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Does the prom need to up it's game?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 21:16:40 PM »
I think it does, because once these A.I. places start to creep in the local economy starts to suffer and restaurants start to shut down.
I saw a programme on T.V. about A.I. resorts in Spain which have left the local places like ghost towns.
It is worrying when you read on the Sensatori F.B. book page one guy saying he always stays at these resorts and only every steps outside for a paper.  If these resorts offer fully inclusive, plus shops etc., there is no reason for the guests to ever move outside the gates.   :(

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 22:02:21 PM »
Jacqui - it seems that I am Jim Murphy to your Ruth Davidson today     ;) (I would not insult you by saying your Nicola Sturgeon)     :)

But, the guy that may stay in the Sensatori and may only step outside for a paper was not in the Calis area last year. So unless the bookings in "established" hotels in Calis are down there will be no effect.

Anne - the present Mrs H and I will always enjoy eating in restaurants on Calis front but will certainly be tempted by establishments on the water front in Fethiye.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 22:28:59 PM »
The guy in question always stays at the Sensatori's resorts in other areas and had booked for the Sensatori in Kargi and when I mentioned all the lovely places to go and see and all the restaurants in the area.  This was his answer.... He only every steps out to get a paper.
When we stayed over at Letoonia we met people who had been in there for two weeks and never moved out.
One couple in particular who were from N.Ireland told us they had never been to Turkey before, had been in Letoonia for 2 weeks and had never ventured out.
It is a well documented fact that these A.I's only put 10% into the local economy and restaurants and businesses in areas suffer as a result.
I don't mind being Ruth Davidson.  I like her very much, she seems like a very good politician and a nice person.   :angel:

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 22:31:31 PM »
Eating in the restaurants we all know and love is all well and good Mr H but when there are more comfortable and well looked after establishments on offer those first time visitors will walk on by

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 22:41:44 PM »
I think the prom is mainly about looking out rather than in - the famous sunsets but also the bay. Having breakfast looking out at the millpond when staying at one of the seafront hotels is magnificent. But I do wonder if it causes the restaurants to rely on that and don't feel any need to raise their game. Fethiye wasn't much better but it certainly is now - and games may need to be raised.

We used to holiday first week of May and first week of September and Calis prom was absolutely buzzing - crowds, men selling tat, rose sellers - at times it was a task just to walk along it. I haven't seen anything remotely like that in many a year.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 23:09:28 PM »
Jacqui - Charlie Kennedy here  ;) (I would have said Willie Rennie but he is no Kennedy)

The Sensatori's is a new facility in Calis.  It is not an existing hotel that has "converted" to all inclusive.

Let's assume that masses of previous visitors to Calis have not suddenly decided to stay there (miles away from the centre of Calis and even further from the centre of Fethiye) rather than for example The Oykun.

I don't know how many bedrooms the new facility has but let's assume 200. Even by your assumption of only 10 % that's 40+ more people spending money in the area.

Also the new facility will provide employment for local people. Surely, apart from any other criteria, that is a good thing.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 23:26:46 PM »
.. And surely one doesn't have to step out to get ones paper? How last century!

I agree with you H. Lots of them were asking about things to see and do in the area. I pointed them towards Mozaik and Kings Garden in Fethiye and many of them said they were looking to go.

"How far is it to Fethiye?" and "how do we get to Fethiye?" Were asked many times.

They are also people with plenty of disposable income I would imagine and shopping at the markets and other places will be high on the agenda.

Even my mate, who a tight Yorkshireman and was supposed to be staying at the Jiva, asked me to do him some maps for bars and restaurants. All useless now he's at Letoonia :(

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 23:41:39 PM »
Three is already a topic about said hotel.
Can we please keep this thread on people's views on the prom and what we think.
Keith, I agree with the looking out but wouldn't' t it be lovely to look out in comfort?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 23:45:56 PM »

In answer to your question - Yes they will have to up their game I think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf